Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Single Letter .marketing Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackandfriends

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I got Z.marketing yesterday.

Any thoughts (good or bad) about the new .marketing gTLD?

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When I first seen it, I thought it made no sense. But, after looking I see there are a lot of companies using "Z Marketing" in their Brand Name, so you may be able to convince one of them to buy it for $100 or so.

But, in my opinion gTLD's like .marketing defeats the purpose of having a domain name, because domain names were meant to be memorable and user friendly. Most new gTLD's are not, because they are prone to typos being so long. On top of that, how do you reach non native English speaking/writing users? Most probably won't be able to spell names like .Marketing.

But, good luck though...

imo....

jackandfriends

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I will hold on to it see what happens in the future. Nobody knows (but a lot of people sure think they do). :)

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Peoples...
When youre looking for a marketing team, where do you look? Do you type 'marketing.com'? Or do you use the search engine? If the latter, then most likely 'z(dot)marketing' will come up.
Who nowadays directly types in the url!? Anybody? Im sure you rely heavily in search engines.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
How come you ask yourself that question after you register the domain?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One single letter domain, in an eight-letter TLD. Not bad o_O

Who nowadays directly types in the url!? Anybody? Im sure you rely heavily in search engines.
Yes, we do.
But I also type URLs in the browser bar, ie websites from print or tv advertising.

I also type google.com in my browser.

And I have a URL on my business cards, I don't write: we are in google.

jackandfriends

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How come you ask yourself that question after you register the domain?
Because there was no time to ask anybody, when I discovered it was available. I had to grab it, because today it would be gone for sure. It was the only 1L left for .marketing yesterday.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Jack - Then you obviously think that single letter domains in general are inherently valuable. The truth is, that many can carry issues including that of tm's.

When you acquire a domain as a hind-sight, you also risk at seeking potential buyers from the crowd of those that would have a legitimate interest in owning the domain. This can be problematic.

jackandfriends

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Jack - Then you obviously think that single letter domains in general are inherently valuable. The truth is, that many can carry issues including that of tm's.

When you acquire a domain as a hind-sight, you also risk at seeking potential buyers from the crowd of those that would have a legitimate interest in owning the domain. This can be problematic.
I think one is ok. Godaddy didn't give me a 'Trademark warning', as it did for Q(dot)marketing when I tried that one.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
and what was the registration cost?

jackandfriends

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What you smoking? Let me know, because I want some... :)
I will dig up this thread 1-2 years from now and we will see how much I sold it for. You could be right, but you could also be up for a big embarrassing surprise. :p

Last edited:

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Of course cause there's only one google. But if users are looking for a service, there are millions of them. Users don't just type in a company url unless they know exactly where they're going. If they don't, they go to google and type on the search engine. That's what search engines are for

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Of course cause there's only one google. But if users are looking for a service, there are millions of them. Users don't just type in a company url unless they know exactly where they're going. If they don't, they go to google and type on the search engine. That's what search engines are for
Don't want to derail your train, but is that why every domain parked receives absolutely no type-in traffic?

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not sure. Who the heck would type "mydomainiscool.com"??? If you have a 1-word domain, nice. I can see the typing in the url...but the more .coms registered, the more users will rely on the search engines.
I've been domaining only 6 years. I'd hate to babysit a dropped domain. It's like dating a slut. I'd rather find new hot chics that voted into town

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It was the only 1L left for .marketing yesterday.
With so many new extensions being released, these names are not going to be scarce, and even scarcity does not make a domain automatically valuable.
Not to mention that the TLD as a whole has no value at this point. $280 is a lot of money, especially if this is going to be the yearly renewal fee.

I don't expect to see an aftermarket at all for new extensions, we will see some flukes but unless you are lucky the losses will just pile up.

asfas

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can't say I don't like it - I like it. But more as a vanity domain. I mean, you could convince a company that uses this name to buy it , and forward it to their .com , perhaps in a few years this domain is more recognizable. But how much would they pay ? $100 ? $500 ? $1000 ? (Remember, vanity, not use). Even for $1000, it's a gamble IMO, if you paid $280. If you haven't sold within one year hmmm....renewals will be harsh...Best of luck

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not sure. Who the heck would type "mydomainiscool.com"??? If you have a 1-word domain, nice. I can see the typing in the url...but the more .coms registered, the more users will rely on the search engines.
I've been domaining only 6 years. I'd hate to babysit a dropped domain. It's like dating a slut. I'd rather find new hot chics that voted into town

Yeah, but the new hot chicks are harder to get with. At least you know the sluts are dropping the panties :)

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Icedude, lol!
Kathrine is quite right. So many new extensions that they won't be so scarce. But with the right combination with the "keyword" and "extension", could be a winner. Nothing over $x,xxx for the nice ones. But for business.marketing or advertising.agency or homes.realestate, those could reach higher numbers...maybe. If we all knew the outcome, we would either be filthy rich or filthy poor. Reg wisely, my friends...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators