Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Strangest DN Stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I once sold OptiSell.com for $5000. A year later it became available again, and I snatched it. I e-mailed the previous owner and offered the name to her for the reg price, but never got a reply. It sits in my inventory today, unlikely to fetch that price again, but who knows?

Let's hear some of your experiences.

Domain Summit 2024

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I once sold OptiSell.com for $5000. A year later it became available again, and I snatched it. I e-mailed the previous owner and offered the name to her for the reg price
haha

I always wondered if that has ever happend. My days of pondering are over. Good Sh*t!

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That almost happened for me. I sold a name for $12k, then I watched it and it expired, but they renewed it a week after it expired :mad:

btw, the same company I sold the domain to owned it before I did. They forgot to renew it and I picked it up...It would have been funny if they did that twice in a row.

RMF

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I have the same Domain listed in both my accounts at different Registrars :confused:

Mike

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tippy
I have the same Domain listed in both my accounts at different Registrars

I have one like this too. It is both my eNom account and my BulkRegister account.

My most comical story is I owned a .com and it happened to be the name of a company in Germany. I emailed them and asked if they wanted it. I never heard back. When renewal time came around a year later, I renewed it and again sent the company two email messages. I told them I had the name of their company and was willing to part with it for $100. The told me in no uncertain terms to STOP SPAMMING them. Alright, so I made a mental note to never send them another email.

So, I did my standard thing and put up a forsale page with an asking price of $500. Six months later, they came back and said they wanted to buy it for $500 - my asking price and they were happy to get it at such a bargain price. They could have had it for $100 :laugh:

Very Amusing.net (yes, that was a shameless self-promoting plug :D )

-Bob

Gomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great stuff, everybody. Thanks for posting.

linkdomain

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RMF
That almost happened for me. I sold a name for $12k, then I watched it and it expired, but they renewed it a week after it expired :mad:

btw, the same company I sold the domain to owned it before I did. They forgot to renew it and I picked it up...It would have been funny if they did that twice in a row.

RMF

that's some big time profit!

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I sold a long 5 word and 30 character name for $1,300 via Afternic (when Afternic was good and in its heyday) which I had recently newly reg'd.

A year later (by luck) I noticed it had oddly expired and dropped and I reg'd it again for $10.

Never did find out what happened, very odd why someone would pay that much money, never use the name and let it drop.

Has this happened to many others here? It sure is strange.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames
Never did find out what happened, very odd why someone would pay that much money, never use the name and let it drop.

Has this happened to many others here? It sure is strange.

I sold Magnet.org for $750. A week after I sold it, a different guy offered me $1500. I told him no-go because I was already committed to the first sale.

Anyway, the original buyer of Magnet.org let the name expire, and ultsearch now owns it.

-Bob

Gomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bob - Ouch. I've always worried about being offered more for a dn after I sold it - hasn't happened yet, though.

mems

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I picked up latn.com on a drop. A week after I received this E-mail:

Dear Sir,

I am contacting you about latn.com. This domain name has been registered to
me for several years and unfortunately released onto the open market
incorrectly by Verisign earlier this month. I am currently contacting the
new registrars in an attempt to acquire them back and would highly
appreciate your cooperation.

Thank God, most of the new registrars have been cooperative and I have
already been able to recapture a few back and hope that you can understand
my most unfortunate situation and sincere appreciation for your attention to
this matter.

I am proposing to reimburse you for your expenses incurred thus far in
relation to the domain name and apologize for the inconvenience.

Please, contact me directly to my cell phone XXXXXXXXXX or by e-mail, if
you should have any comments, questions or suggestions.

I thank you in advance for your consideration and look forward to hearing
from you.

Sincerely and respectfully,
XXXXXXX

This guy said he lost 57 domain names because of Verisign's mistake and was only able to recapture 23 of the names so far.
He forwarded this as proof:

Dear Mr. XXXXXX,

Thank you for your assistance. I am confident that you will be able to correct, Verisign's, big mistake.

As we confirmed over the phone, all of my domain names have been closely managed over the past few months, to assure that what appears to have just happened was NOT going to happen. I was aware that Verisign, was upgrading and adding new services so I didn't want to be a victim of the confusion. I also have several e-mails, confirmations and reference numbers pertaining to this. I also have the confirmations and "success" status in my portal for the 57 domains we are referring to since October X, 2002.

Here is the portal confirmation for the renewal of my 57 domain names:

XXXXXXXXXDomain Renew Success 10/02/2002 XXXXEDT
XXXXXXXXXDomain Renew Success 10/02/2002 XXXXEDT

I also received confirmation that the transaction was succesful, by phone, from more than one person, because after I confirmed that my domain names were secure through the portal and with Mr. XXXXXXX by phone and e-mail, I still noticed that the WHOIS search was still not updated. Having recently learned that Verisign, had some legal issues in reference to domain names, I was very ontop of this, so I was making sure to follow up by phone and e-mail for every transaction, because the portal was new and I wanted to assure myself that everything was being managed properly and accurately. When I called the support center, several representatives ASSURED me that the status in my portal was accurate and that the systems just hadn't updated yet.

To my surprise, this morning, I checked one of the domain names via WHOIS search, and noticed that it was registered to someone else. That is when I called you and began to troubleshoot the situation.

Without waiving any of my rights, in order to help you in correcting this situation. I have registered the domain names again as you instructed, in order to secure any of my domains that Verisign, has inaccurately, made available to the open market.

Here is the portal confirmation for today's registrations:

XXXXXXXXDomain Create Success 10/11/2002 XXXXEDT

Unfortunately, I was only able to recapture, 23 domain names of the 57. There are still 34 domain names that Verisign, is liable for.

Sincerely,
XXXXXXXX

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2002 1:11 PM
To: XXXXXXXX
Subject: domain deletions

We are aware of the fact that your domains have been deleted. I am working
on a resolution to this issue as we speak. I will be in contact with you
before the end of the day with a resolution to your issue.

I apologize for all of the concern,
XXXXXXX

I have Xed out personal info to protect privacy.
What do you think???

Gomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think you should post this under it's own heading to get a better response.

I wish I could help you further, but this is outside of my experience.

mems

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thats a good idea Gomains. I think I will.
It is strange though, isnt it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom