Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

cctld TBR Nov 4, 09 featuring living.ca, speedboad.ca...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belzibut

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If there is a bidders ID - after the auction we would know who they are for upcoming auctions as well. There is no need to hide who someone is. All we need is an actual username that cannot be changed.

For example Pool will not allow you to change your username.

Would probably be best for both bidder and auction house that if during the auction the bidder info remain confidential. Bidder could get a different bidder id everytime they enter a different auction. But after the auction, all bidder would be exposed including their name and if they have a Cira registrant id. End users and those with no domains will not have one so doesn't work much.

How about showing other auction they participated in including their bids. This info could be available only during 1 hour after the auction. Lots of end users will have no records.

Maybe the Dropcatcher should force their members to verified their address like paypal does. Those without a verified address could only participate in a certain amount of auction before their account is removed. Their profile could show if their address is verified or not. If they have a verified bank account like paypal does as well.

What do you think?

Domain Summit 2024

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There would have to be a third party to verify all the info to 100% make sure all is above board. If it's only the auction company overseeing things, you never really know.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree with HG.

Confidential is great but we have no way of really knowing. I prefer seeing who the bidder is from start to finish. That's one of the reasons i am not a fan of sibername or myid auctions.

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As an auction house you can't show the registrant id, unless you want to check before every page load to see if the registrant has privacy on. If they do then it would be against CIRA's policies to show it.

As for a third party verification there is nothing that would stop John Doe, who works at xxx auction house, from getting his brother in law to signup etc.. There would be too many ways around it for it to be successful.

From an auction standpoint seeing who your bidding against can only result in lower bids, if a bidder see's joe millionaire in an auction he's may not get involved and place his best bid for that auction, knowing the deep pockets of the competitor.

From a bidders perspective I can't think of any legitimate reason to wanting to know who is involved in the auction while its still running.

Once the auction is completed a full disclosure system may work, but then you run into privacy issues for the bidders. By providing a username which cannot be changed and then disclosing that at the end of the auction leaves the users privacy in tact and discloses the credentials of the winner be it only the auction alias.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From an auction standpoint seeing who your bidding against can only result in lower bids, if a bidder see's joe millionaire in an auction he's may not get involved and place his best bid for that auction, knowing the deep pockets of the competitor.

From a bidders perspective I can't think of any legitimate reason to wanting to know who is involved in the auction while its still running.

Actually when one see's a heavy hitter they tend to bid MORE and " make the millionaire pay ", this was researched some years ago, it is a type of " revenge ". It plays out daily on namejet and snap and people do it on ebay out of spite, I witness this myself.

As for why knowing would matter, for me it would simply be a reassurance they are legit, that is all. Oh and bumping the millionaires lol

Belzibut

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
But like Liberator said, it could always be a cousin or brother in law so it could never be 100% secure even if all bidder's info is released. Lets come up with the best way to do it for both bidders and auction houses.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It could be...

So why not have a date associated with the account and statistics, like number of names actually won?

Kind of like ebay, if a guy bids for a year, never wins but is always at the top it speaks volumes.

Also if a just joined is second it speaks volumes and at least he cannot hide the second time.

Just random thoughts.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You would NEVER have seen that here, these tbr prices floor me.

That's what I was thinking too. I'm pretty much a rookie in this field, but where are the TBR bidders coming from, if not from the domaining industry?

Are there people who use the TBR who don't know about domaining messageboards and forums and private sales?

I'm almost sick to my stomach thinking that there are names that don't get any attention here that go for $Xxx + on the TBR just because some people might think hand registering and TBR are the only ways to go.

Last edited:

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Members here have ridiculous expectations. You don't have to deal with that in TBR.

It's an auction. No need to make offers...no need to watch ridiculously high BIN prices drop once a week. An auction has a start time and an end time.

I think this is what frustrates me most about this forum. People don't put prices on what they want to sell.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Members here have ridiculous expectations. You don't have to deal with that in TBR.

It's an auction. No need to make offers...no need to watch ridiculously high BIN prices drop once a week. An auction has a start time and an end time.

I think this is what frustrates me most about this forum. People don't put prices on what they want to sell.

Im lost because to me its quite the opposite.

People here are making the drop auction look high.

I think people over pay on drops because its the excitement, never offered before element. A lot of $XXXX+++ names on drops wouldnt get $500 here.

Eevryone praised style.com last month, I know that guy personally, he couldnt get $2k now.

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I would take style.com for 2k :)

But on a serious note, its a real mix on this forum. Some sell horrific names that people hand regged that I would not take for free, other use this forum as a form of advertisement for their domains (keep recreating threads about their same domains asking for BIN), and of course some good names with reasonable prices, and others who want a realistic reseller price.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom