Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

The most exciting tld of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm perplexed to see this, wow... I never thought an LL.pw would go nearly as high, the extension just came to life recently and people are already making big bucks reselling that ! lol.....maybe a firm called something like Qualitative Resources thought it needed it .....lol ? too lazy to ck any WHOIS this late...

If that was possible then anything is .....what's next ? that we'll actually meet a domainer on DNF who actually lives in Cocos Islands ? lmfao...

:fish2:

Cocos Islands (.cc) population - 596
Tuvalu (.tv) population - 10,544
Palau (.pw) population - 20,956

Amazing to see QR.PW sell for $6,500... :rolleyes:

Domain summit 2024

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't even know where the Cocos Islands are, but if it's tropical and foreigner friendly... seems like a good vacation. :approve:

If QR.PW was purchased by a domainer, they ought to know the saying, "once you drive off the lot... [it's worth nothing]". ;)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find any exact matches for the "QR" trademark like "FB", but if used as fair usage with QR codes or another acronym not competing with a trademark, it should be safe... but QR.pw for $6500 when you can buy much much better?

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the point is a valid one since many of the newer gTLDs and even the more mainstream ccTLDs simply do not allow CC domains, most begin at 3-chars (and i wonder why exactly that is....)

havin said that, wouldn't you rather reg/buy 10 or 20 decent domains (where 2-chars are permitted) in a less awkward extension ? lol, something about .PeeWee just doesn't jive with me lol

and i keep thinkin of .WEB, apparently not even available yet (no sign of its cost either) but pre-reg is free, i might just dip my toes in one or two .WEBs if they're not priced crazy.... sales@ekman.web lol, doesn't it sound light yrs better than with the weirder exts ?....

and i had said elsewhere i like .pro too, same thing as .web tho, no reg fee yet, no launch date, but preregs are free...

...... I am all good with any extension with a LL. Just sayin......

Last edited:

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is there more than one ? The ones I knew about were Cocos Is (aka Keeling Is) in the Indian Ocean, west of AU...... mentioned around the 2004 Tsunami and I also remember .cc being intro'd and wondering what the country was

Costa Rica
Legend has it that 350 tons of gold is buried there.

Jiblob

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.co is not even close.

How many .co do you visit on a daily basis ?
How many big companies use one ?
How many .co do YOU use for business ?

Answer: nobody uses a .co for anything remotely serious.
The exception in within Colombia proper of course.

Ermmmm VINE.co?

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ermmmm VINE.co?

Not an Apple user, but it wasn't necessary to brand with "VINE" as it's an application made by Vine Labs, Inc. They could quite possibly have registered a company name and then referenced their application on their website or pick another brandable name in the dot com for $2500-$5000.

A prime example of an application/social networking site (I believe started here in Japan) uses their corporate, Japanese ccTLD, as their website. As they've reached 100,000,000 users worldwide (a 1/10th of Facebook and could possibly be the next FB), they have the resources to purchase LINE.com if necessary. However, they still chose to use their corporate website http://line.naver.jp/en/ and still continually grow rapidly on a daily basis. Mind you, FB made a multi-million dollar/stock options purchase of FB.com a while ago, LINE hasn't made a move (possibly)... but still remain in the game.

Why use .co? Why not vinelabsinc.com/vine? :?:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There may be exceptions. Yet I wouldn't invest in .fm because there is one successful site in .fm (last.fm) and that applies to any other extension.

For a TLD to succeed, it's not enough to have a few major sites using it.
There has to be critical mass, and I'm not talking about the registration stats here.

Jiblob

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not an Apple user, but it wasn't necessary to brand with "VINE" as it's an application made by Vine Labs, Inc. They could quite possibly have registered a company name and then referenced their application on their website or pick another brandable name in the dot com for $2500-$5000.

A prime example of an application/social networking site (I believe started here in Japan) uses their corporate, Japanese ccTLD, as their website. As they've reached 100,000,000 users worldwide (a 1/10th of Facebook and could possibly be the next FB), they have the resources to purchase LINE.com if necessary. However, they still chose to use their corporate website http://line.naver.jp/en/ and still continually grow rapidly on a daily basis. Mind you, FB made a multi-million dollar/stock options purchase of FB.com a while ago, LINE hasn't made a move (possibly)... but still remain in the game.

Why use .co? Why not vinelabsinc.com/vine? :?:

Twitter created Vine. I guess they can only answer why it was necessary for them to use 'Vine.co' as the domain.

I can answer why VineLabsInc.com wasn't their preferred domain however - cause it's awful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators