1. Welcome to DNF.com™ - Domain Sales, Domain Forum, Domain Appraisals, Domain Registrars
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the largest domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 300,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Thumbs up to ICA

Discussion in 'ICA' started by katherine, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
You must be a logged-in, registered member of this site to view further posts in this thread.
This thread is more than 180 days old.
  1. katherine

katherine Country hopper Exclusive Member

Local Time:
    7:07 AM
    I know many among you - including me - have reservations about ICA.
    But I just want to say, kudos to ICA for standing up to the state of Kentucky in their pathetic attempt to step out of their jurisdiction and deprive law abiding domain owners of what is rightfully theirs.

This is exactly what I would expect from a domainer lobby ;)
    The need for a representative body is more than obvious in light of the current repressive climate toward domain owners and such attacks will definitely proliferate in the future...

Domainers beware: the state of Kentucky wants to own you - and without KY :shy:

PS: on a side note please take note of the registrars who caved in already, and are willing to dispose of your valuable names with no discussion. Then govern yourself accordingly.
  2. Theo

Theo Bloody Hell Exclusive Member

Local Time:
    2:07 AM
    I know eNom caved in and Moniker said no. Which other registrar responded?
  3. Michael Collins

Michael Collins DNF Newbie Exclusive Member

Local Time:
    sdsinc,

Thank you for the Kudos. I fully understand anyone having reservations about a startup association, especially one with so little funding, but I think we are making good progress. I hope we continue to do the right thing for our industry.

Network Solutions was the only registrar to send representatives to defend its customers in Kentucky court. I will continue to keep the community informed about the Kentucky case at InternetCommerce.org. I also wrote quite a bit about it in a newsletter published this morning.

https://www.internetcommerce.org/domain_seizure_report
  4. Theo

Theo Bloody Hell Exclusive Member

Local Time:
    Michael! Nice to see you here! :)

Very interesting info. Especially since NetSol stepped up the game. Hopefully other affected registrars will follow as well.
  5. OnSpec

OnSpec DNFcollege.com Exclusive Member

Local Time:
    Numeric Domains is a member and will continue to support ICA's efforts.
  6. mkellerman

mkellerman DNFcollege.com Exclusive Member

Local Time:
    3:07 PM
    Were any of the registrars involved companies incorporated outside the US? Using a registrar from outside the US could be safer in this type of situation (domains that might be related to gambling) I imagine.
  7. katherine

katherine Country hopper Exclusive Member

Local Time:
    7:07 AM
    I believe enom caved in, and godaddy recognized juridiction of the court which means they will do whatever they are told. Yes, using a non-US registrar would be safer unless they decide to go after the registry.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  8. Michael Collins

Michael Collins DNF Newbie Exclusive Member

Local Time:
    Many US and non-US registrars received notices to seize domain names in this case. As far as I know, no registrar outside of the US has responded affirmatively to the order.

I am not an attorney and this is not a legal opinion, just my personal rant. Consider it to be worth what you paid for it. If you are not a US citizen or resident, you may be able to avoid US jurisdiction by using an non-US registrar. However, it may be difficult for US citizens, residents and entities to avoid US jurisdiction by using an offshore registrar. Sure, the original court orders were sent to the registrar, but how hard do you think it will be for Kentucky to get the court to send an order to the registrant if the registrar refuses to acknowledge the authority of a US court?

The best think that we can all do is stand together and oppose this unprecedented and dangerous ruling. ICA needs to prepare another amicus brief for the appeals court and it would be good if we could get an attorney to address the appeals court. We could use your help. Please join ICA as a member or if that is too great a commitment for you at this time, donations of any size are appreciated. Thank you.
    http://www.internetcommerce.org/membership_application
Thread Status:
You must be a logged-in, registered member of this site to view further posts in this thread.
This thread is more than 180 days old.