Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

To Pay Or Not To Pay

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It has been 5 months since I sold Beards.net for 46x revenue ($4,601).

This may seem like an exceptional sale but I am now starting to feel like I left some money on the table.

By the final day of the 30 day auction, I had received 3,026 views, obtained 55 watchers and took home 34 bids -- all without purchasing a single upgrade. I thought this was fantastic!

I truly believed the upgrades were for names and websites that were either super premiums or duds.

Fast forward to today. I'm once again back on Flippa but this time I decided to market my name... hard. I nervously purchased the $349 Super Premium Upgrade.

The auction has received 470 views, managed to grab 33 watchers and secured 36 bids all within 3 days.

The craziest part is that the newsletter hasn't even gone out yet!

Have you ever bought an upgrade? How did it turn out?

vinsdomains.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck and bad luck at Flippa, but haven't played a lot over there. Like you said, it really depends on the name. If you've got a good one word domain, it's probably worth the exposure there, although I have found that taking the time to find an end-user really pays off without any incurring any fees!

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
buying a "Super Premium Upgrade" should mean, getting a better domain.

I'm not with that "pay to sell" model, but with such upfront costs, perhaps consider setting a "reserve".

Good Luck!

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck and bad luck at Flippa, but haven't played a lot over there. Like you said, it really depends on the name. If you've got a good one word domain, it's probably worth the exposure there, although I have found that taking the time to find an end-user really pays off without any incurring any fees!

I agree. Flippa can be hit or miss. I'm a firm believer that a dollar now is worth more than a dollar tomorrow. Because of this I prefer quick flips. I know it means I'm constantly leaving money on the table but I don't think that's necessarily bad business.

buying a "Super Premium Upgrade" should mean, getting a better domain.

I'm not with that "pay to sell" model, but with such upfront costs, perhaps consider setting a "reserve".

Good Luck!

I tend to agree with you. This is the first time I've incurred serious upfront costs but it seems to be working well.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This may seem like an exceptional sale but I am now starting to feel like I left some money on the table.

I nervously purchased the $349 Super Premium Upgrade.

I know it means I'm constantly leaving money on the table but I don't think that's necessarily bad business.

Shane, i hacked your comments up but that venue combined with flip mentality, makes it look like you're leaving money on the table before you play and you're leaving money on the table, after the game is over.

if you got to leave some money, maybe leave it only once.

:)

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Shane, i hacked your comments up but that venue combined with flip mentality, makes it look like you're leaving money on the table before you play and you're leaving money on the table, after the game is over.

if you got to leave some money, maybe leave it only once.

:)

You make a valid point but doesn't it cost money to make money in every industry?

I also think the numbers speak for themselves.

It the last 7 days, my auction has accumulated 65 watchers, 1,073 views and 55 bids from 10 bidders. Not a bad start!

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm missing something... what is it about Beards.net that makes it valuable?

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm missing something... what is it about Beards.net that makes it valuable?

I'm not sure what made it so special to other people. It did have big potential. I just didn't have 5 years to wait. :D

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on the sale. But secretly I enjoyed watching the development process for Beards.net. :)

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on the sale. But secretly I enjoyed watching the development process for Beards.net. :)

I appreciate that Tia! I have a couple more projects that are in the works. Hopefully I'll be able to share them soon. :D

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You make a valid point but doesn't it cost money to make money in every industry?

sure, it costs money to make money, but every attempt to make money, shouldn't have an upfront cost attached.

I also think the numbers speak for themselves.

It the last 7 days, my auction has accumulated 65 watchers, 1,073 views and 55 bids from 10 bidders. Not a bad start!

I can send you a thousand views for less than $349. :)

but neither I nor flip, can guarantee closing bid amount.

Good Luck!

Charles Sweeney

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've had about $80K sales on Flippa. Just using the standard service. The products had good value so "sold themself". One way to find out, really, "suck it and see" but my feeling is the standard service is good enough for decent names/sites.

Charles Sweeney

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

What is it about any name that makes it valuable? Only the buyer knows that. $4.6K isn't particularly valuable but I think it's a good price for this name because like yourself I don't see any great value in it.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom