Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Tracking Down A Domain Spammer?

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Someone apparently succeeded in finding a way to send (worthless crappy) domainspam withour getting caught by spamfilters. Normally I ignore spam, but this is getting very annoying. I get those fake mails in large quantities, and I bet I'm not the only one. I would really like to know who is responsible for this crap.

I have no doubt that the mails all come from the same source. They have a very specific signature:

- Crappy worthless domain being advertised, often a .net
- Sender always uses a (fake) female name
- Domain almost expired
- Private/anonymous registration
- "My apologies in advance if you are not the right person to ask.I have found out that you are the owner of a similar name to .... "

It has SPAM written all over it, but spamfilters will not catch it, who the @Q#$%^&*())(*&^%$ is this @#$%^&*()_+ ????

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Annoying but sometimes get offers on my domains as a result of their efforts.. for example when the .net or .anything is about to drop and I get that advance premium availability notice.. it does once in awhile stir up a buyer who is probably interested in the one and only .com. I don't think it happens too often but once in awhile notice a correlation between getting those emails for a similar name and an offer coming in.

As for how they get by the filters.. that's all they do, and they get good at it. Apparently fake female names are more trustworthy than random guy names..

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Have been getting these for a while. Is it from net.hr in Croatia? Send me the full headers to take a look.

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mostly net.hr yes. They use a lot of yahoo mail addresses too. I'll take a look at the headers later when I am at my laptop. The funny thing is that I used to get those on an almost daily basis, but did not receive a single one since starting this thread.

As an example, this one is from "[email protected]":
Hello,

My apologies if you are not the right person to ask.

Seeing that you have a similar domain name, I was wondering if you would have interest in
acquiring 9sails(net) ?

Thank you for your time.

Brandy

Last edited:

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mails appear to be sent from Romania.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom