Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Tradmark Claim That Defies Logic!

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After over 10 years of parking this domain, I receive the following notice regarding TheJobScout[dom]com:

======
We are writing to inform you that the domain(s) listed below have been flagged for review in accordance with Sedo’s User Agreement and Rights Protection Program for potential violation of third party rights.
thejobscout[dot].com

In response to a validated complaint from a matching or confusingly similar trademark holder, Sedo must

- disable hosting services if the domain(s) was participating in Sedo’s Domain Parking Program

Please note this action in no way affects your registration or control of the domain, your Sedo User Account, or any other domains you may have listed for sale or parked with Sedo.

Sedo takes great pains to strike a balance between the legitimate rights of domain owners and third party intellectual property owners and verify all legal complaints before taking any action against a domain name listed for sale or parked with Sedo.
======
I asked for more information and got the following reply:
======
I'd be happy to provide you with more information. Sedo has received a complaint to our Rights Protection Program (http://sedo.com/us/about-us/policies/rights-protection-program-rpp) against the domain from Scout24, the company leading digital market places for cars and real estate, regarding domains containing, or confusingly similar to, their protected trademark SCOUT24.

As your domain thejobscout[dom]com contains a similar match of the protected mark (SCOUT24) and does not appear to have only an independent meaning beyond identifying the trademark holder, Sedo has no choice but to block the domain from our website and parking services due to the trademark owner’s complaint.

Please keep in mind that Sedo's decision to restrict access to its services has no impact on your registration, use or control of the domain, and just means that this particular domain can't access Sedo's domain marketplace and parking services.

If you have any further questions, just let us know.
========
Thank you for the response, but this explanation defies all logic. “The Job Scout” distinctly identifies an entity that is looking for a JOB. There is no rational possibility that a JOB could be confused with cars or real estate.

The person who made this decision seems to think that the use of ANY English word in a trademark grants ownership to all possible uses of that English word in all possible combinations. That’s not how trademarks work.

Who has made this decision, and who can it be appealed to?

Regards
======

Has anyone else dealt with anything like this? Using this logic, the entire English language is already trademarked!

bro

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They like to do such things for fun, including banning accounts, and they also make sure to never let small time domainers reach their $20 for parking payout lol

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it's dumb logic for sure....

practically the same rationale domainers use to send emails to other domainers.

as is: "I see you own thejobscout.com, I have scout24 are you interested in buying?"

:)

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it's dumb logic for sure....

practically the same rationale domainers use to send emails to other domainers.

as is: "I see you own thejobscout.com, I have scout24 are you interested in buying?"

:)

Ha! I guess I'm not the only one getting this.

And apparently I need scout24.cn "to explore the market".

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
... and it gets weirder. Scout24's trademark was abandoned in 2010.

maybe you could send that info to sedo, so they'll be on same page.

Vanster

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It looks like the first 2 replies were automated template responses, so maybe a human will see your last reply.

The complaint seems completely illogical to me. Is that all it takes to have a domain banned from sedo? Bizarre...

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom