Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Trick To Actually Making Some Descent Money In This Business?

afcobra2

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Buying and selling domains... What are the tricks to making money? Obviously short domain names are good. But let's say you come across a few good domain names... what then? Build out the website, promote it then sell it as an established website? What are some tips and tricks to making some good side income in this business? Looking to get serious with it. Thanks in advance.

Domain summit 2024

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Your question is so broad that it covers everything ever discussed anywhere in this forum.

There is no short answer. Start reading. And if you have some more specific questions, people are happy to answer them.

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

afcobra2

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I already started one on this domain name: - Just gotta get the people on there now...

Last edited by a moderator:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It wasn't the prospectors who made money it was the ones that sold them the shovels!

Charles, picks and shovels are still being sold. except now they are called "domain tools", where you pay a monthly or yearly subscription fee.

I already started one on this domain name: - Just gotta get the people on there now...
Hi

Please do not continue to post your domain in this thread or Beginners section, as this area is not open for appraisal or promotion.

Thanks

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Buying and selling domains... What are the tricks to making money?

Your going to have to at least spend more time and effort on your questions if you expect answers from people that have spent a lot of time and effort to figure things out.

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
would say that both registrars and market places such as sedo, snap, afternic etc are the ones cashing in on domaining.
very few domainers do very well, except for folks who started this in 2000 or around there and domain pros who have learned how to beat the market.

Sorror

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
would say that both registrars and market places such as sedo, snap, afternic etc are the ones cashing in on domaining.
very few domainers do very well, except for folks who started this in 2000 or around there and domain pros who have learned how to beat the market.

If that's true, DNF's membership is just a stupidity tax.

Mazkel

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You need plenty of patience, a little risk-taking, constant learning, a touch of humility, common sense, and reinvesting money from sales.

I started in 2008 with a $10 hand reg that I sold a couple of months later for low xxx. I reinvested the entirety of the proceeds to buy three additional "higher quality" names and have not spent one dime of my own money since then.

Maintain a manageable size portfolio.

Wash, rinse, and repeat.

Also, pay attention to what people are saying on here. I know it's helped me.

ilovedomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The 7 steps to becoming a domainer:

Step 1:
You buy 100 names at the domain auctions.

Step 2:
You list them at places like Sedo, and sell two for 10 times what you paid!!!

Step 3:
You buy another 100 names at the drops. This time you bid high to show everyone your a player.

Step 4:
You sell 5 more names! Your going to be rich!!! You tell your boss to take your job and shove it!

Step 5:
200 domain renewals come due, and you try wholesaling names at DNF to cover the cost.

Step 6:
Those cheap bastards at DNF wont even give you what you paid! The say your names are crap!

Step 7:
You call you old boss and beg him to give you your job back.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll get back to you on your title question LOL....

Just one small piece of advice: keep your day job !

Last edited:

Willox Perez

NameTreats Rep
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Since you want this to be your side income, this means you still have your current job which provides your main income. So now comes the basic of all things when it comes to not only the domain industry but anything new you want to get involved in.

EDUCATE YOURSELF!

You need to be willing to put in the part time hours it takes to learn all about the domain name industry. Understand that there are rules you must learn, concepts you must get familiar with and then you must simply test and try different methods. Of course I am not going to just send you off blind as I will provide some of the basic tips when it comes to getting started.

1. Get familiar with expired domains and how to get them through backordering services.
  2. Forget about hand registering any names for now.
  3. Focus only one 2 word .Coms that have good search volume or good CPC

I know these terms mentioned sound foreign but all you need to do with anything you don't know is Google the meaning of it. It will take some time to get educated but it will be beneficial in the long term. Change your perspective about making money and become a student of the game. The more you learn the more you will be able to apply and the more money you will make.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators