Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Using multiple TLD's for one website

LindLanghorne

Level 1
Reaction score
This concerns the best way to use multiple, matching TLD's in the most efficient and effective way, as far as search engines, traffic and other considerations are concerned.

If I own all the major TLD's for a site (xxxxx.com, xxxxx.net & xxxxx.org), what is the best/proper way use them?
Should I setup one and simply point the other two to it, and if so, which TLD should be the main site or...
Should I replicate the site on each domain or...
Should it be somewhere in the middle with a landing or redirect page on the other two?

My initial thoughts are to setup the .com as the main site for the best search engine results, but beyond that I'm lost about the other two.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

if.....you own the .com, then i don't see a need to own the others, except maybe .org, , in case you want a charity side of the biz.

however, to answer the question....i'd develop .com and point all other extensions to it.

imo....

LindLanghorne

Level 1
Reaction score
Thanks Biggie,

Let me be a little more specific.
The site will be mainly informational/educational and would probably fit best into the .org domain, but would that limit or lessen my exposure in search engines?
That was my concern and why I also considered the .com. As for the .net, I thought having the three TDS's would also limit anyone from getting in on the name later.

I guess my major concerns are search engines and the best way to use the three domains.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

if site is geared more for .org, then content will drive rank, not the extension

imo...

LindLanghorne

Level 1
Reaction score
Sorry Biggie, but I can't agree with your opinion. Recent tests have proven that content is NOT king, as much as the search engines would like you to believe so. In tests of all being equal, .com gets the best returns and .org is way down the list.

Thanks anyway for your time and response.

I will probably create the full site using the .com, and create and host at least the index page as a .org. I probably won't bother with the .net but just hold it.
If anyone else has more info/opinion/experience I would appreciate it.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi
below, you phrase as a question, as if you don't know

but would that limit or lessen my exposure in search engines?

then, when i give reply, you can't agree because of some "recent tests"

Sorry Biggie, but I can't agree with your opinion. Recent tests have proven that content is NOT king, as much as the search engines would like you to believe so. In tests of all being equal, .com gets the best returns and .org is way down the list.

what test, who did the test and how was it aggregated, propagated and rated?

imo....

LindLanghorne

Level 1
Reaction score
Curb your ego, Biggie. I just don't agree with you. I thought this forum would be a little busier but when I didn't get any responses for a while, I went and did some research on my own. It's not that hard to find but I don't feel like looking it all up again to point you to it. It's no big deal. Again... thanks for taking the time to respond.

imo....

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

i was just trying to respond and the comments made have nothing to do with ego,
it's about information.

we all know the power of .com, but i'm also aware of the the inherent confidence in .org as a viable extension and it's still 1st choice for many entities.

you disagreed with opinion, because of results of some tests.

now, if you can't point to those results or link to where the tests where taken and by whom,
then basically you're the one who won't share information....

and, you started the discussion.

just saying....

imo...

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

This is plain wrong. All gTLDs are treated equal by google.. ccTLDs will get boost in searches located in their geographic area and in their specific language. That is the only way TLDs affect search results. Org does not rank poorer than .com.

I will probably create the full site using the .com, and create and host at least the index page as a .org. I probably won't bother with the .net but just hold it.
If anyone else has more info/opinion/experience I would appreciate it.

The correct way of doing it would be as Biggie suggested. Develop one site (the .com, not because of SE benefits but because of user recollection and perception) and point the remaining domains to the main site. By having more than one copy you are just hurting yourself by hosting duplicate content. Only reason to use multiple domains would be if you had a multi language approach.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators