Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

What About Dot Biz?

FreddyS

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am running in UK right now a campaign for dot biz, feedback so far not bad.
What are you thoughts here about dot biz?

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I recently heard an advertisement on the radio for a website on a .biz. I literally laughed out loud.

Nomzo

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend's father advertises his small business through (8 characters) .biz, which then redirects to the main website on (21 character) .co.uk. He uses it for email also and in this situation the setup works perfectly fine. Ideal scenario would be to have all main extensions however it's not practical as an Australian company already had this idea and don't want to sell.

With no data to back this up, I'd say people in the UK are generally not put off by .net, .biz etc if the actual domain is understandable. On the other hand .nl, .fr, .de, .us, where people infer a language or region specific content, might create second thoughts in terms of relevancy. Of course it depends on what type of campaign you're running, what's being sold, selling to business customers etc.

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.biz extension has more than 2.5m registered domains. It is a sizeable and popular TLD on some level.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, but even .mobi has nearly 1 million regs (but shrinking).
.tel .pw have good hundreds of thousands of regs too, sometimes you wonder why you don't stumble on them more often. Probably not enough development going on to rank them in the serps.
I never visit .biz sites on a regular basis, but I visit CNO + ccTLDs extensively.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't like it because it seems too easy to misspell (the radio test)

.biz
.biss
.bizz
.bis

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.BIZ has various drawbacks for use in business.

Its primary selling point is that it's cheap and has wide SLD availability -- just like .PW and .XYZ and .OOO and .ENTERPRISES and .VENTURES and dozens or hundreds of other TLDs where successful websites will seldom be seen.

I like .BIZ better than those. But it does tend to look as cheap and be forgotten / misremembered.

Plus, it's an upgrade waiting to be paid for ... often at great future cost.

FreddyS

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the replies here are more or less like what I expected, dot biz is picking up. this is as well the feedback from our campaign for hosting.co.uk where we give away a couple hundred free .biz domains. People really like it and start using it.

We targeted startups and people with ideas, just the space for presenting the idea was missing.
so we gave them the domain (.biz), the hosting, and some microsoft exchange accounts.

And out of the sudden they decided to build an online presence for their idea. I think it is a positive feedback when startups start using a niche TLD.
I called a few and asked them if they would decide the same if I had send them a voucher code for one of the new TLD´s, the answer was really surprising, they did not know about the newGTLDs and believe they would have been confused what todo.

At the end, what I learned from this campaign is that, to convince somebody to build an online presence and start using the domain it must be a trustworthy established TLD. We will see next year during the renew if I invested my money well and the clients stay.

I will check on monday if I have a few codes left, PM me if you want a .biz and let me pay for it. but you must build a little site. :)

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good luck with your campaign!

Not sure if it's true that .BIZ is picking up, however -- particularly not in terms of investment value, which is quite different from $5 registration volume. Certainly, giveaways are not evidence of .BIZ picking up.

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.biz domains do not do well at all on reseller market. as katherine says you do not see .biz websites often and i can't remember one i've been to recently.

accelerator

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am running in UK right now a campaign for dot biz, feedback so far not bad.
What are you thoughts here about dot biz?

I am not keen on them at all, mainly because they fail the "radio test", as someone has mentioned, the extension is hard to spell. I would not use one and don't register any. Sorry about that.

LarryWentz

Sasquatch Researchin' Pool Hall Junkie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well I regret I didn't take .biz & .info more serious when they first launched. I should have tried to register a few names back then. With that said I have purchased .biz names from others & have sold one for a low 4 figure amount. If it's a strong generic name, I also have no problem using .biz to build a site.

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
haven't seen many biz names sell for four figures not even generics so you lucked out with that one. websites having biz domain names may succeed but it is a weak extension. should not be your first choice when better extensions are unregistered or there is an available country code for your domain that makes sense.

agree a biz website can be associated with the owner not wanting to spend too much money on it which is very bad for business. also agree many spam emails come from biz addresses. should consider all factors before spending too much on your biz project.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom