Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

What does ClientHold mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveto

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I came across a domain that I want..nothing special..not "a class", but one that I like..anyway..it expired on the 18th of Dec 2007...so i put an order for this in snapnames..I just checked today and it shows:

Updated Date: 19-dec-2007
Creation Date: 18-dec-2001
Expiration Date: 18-dec-2008

Notice the change in expired and I can't remember, but the status part I think was different..so what does this mean? Am I screwed? Did the person renew or did their registrar decide to pay for an additional year, hoping to gouge the owner of the domain for more money to get it back?

What to do?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
It's in hold status. The owner potentially can still renew it. Some registrars offer a 30 day grace period.

Mediamarket

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For gTLDs the registry automatically extends the renewal for another year even when the name isn't renewed by the registrant. The domain enters the 'registrar grace' period where it can be renewed by the registrar for no additional fee (~30-45 days).

If the registrar wishes the name to not be renewed they have to issue a delete command to the registry and at that point the name reverts to the true expiration date and the name enters the redemption period.

As Acroplex mentions most registrars allow registrants to renew their name during that grace period without an additional fee. Many are now getting creative in what they do so if you name is with Network Solutions or Enom you can look at NameJet to see if it is part of their prerelease list.

I believe ClientHold is also a EPP status that can be used by registrars for things like chargebacks or other forms of nonpayment when they have already renewed the name but client hasn't paid.

Cheers

RedTruck

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can a domain owner still sell them domain once it's entered client hold state? Or do they have to pay the registration fee first?

Mediamarket

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It depends on the registrar but current ICANN transfer policy doesn't allow for registrars to reject a transfer request during the grace period because of non payment. (As I understand it and have confirmed with a couple registrars). So in the theory they wouldn't have to renew.

Most registrars follow the policy and allow for the transfer but some make it so you can't get the auth code, unlock etc. so in principle I would assume the owner would need to renew before you could purchase.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom