1. Welcome to DNF.com™ - Domain Sales, Domain Forum, Domain Appraisals, Domain Registrars
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the largest domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 300,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

What's the longest you've had a domain up for sale for?

Discussion in 'Domain Beginners and Newbies' started by SEOcidal.net, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
You must be a logged-in, registered member of this site to view further posts in this thread.
This thread is more than 180 days old.
  1. SEOcidal.net

SEOcidal.net Platinum Member

Local Time:
    3:46 PM
    I was a web developer for the past 11 years. I've decided to sell off everything I've got and build a business offline with my brother.

After six months of heavy promoting, I've sold only six websites and about fifty domains ... I've got nearly 1000 domains left and 100 websites! At this rate, it will take 5-6 years to sell everything.

I've never really sold domains in the past. I rejected all offers. Is this a long term game? (Unless you're willing to take peanuts.)
  2. RTM.net

RTM.net Platinum Member DNFcollege.com

Local Time:
    10:46 AM
    The last paragraph summarizes the current situation (since the economic downturn of a few years ago started) and basically... it's a waiting game where you will certainly get a better ROI if you hold out for the market to recover - especially in the US ; even if your clients are not located in the US, almost all economies are affected by their financial stability.

I would do a selective rationalization of your portfolio and liquidate only those where you won't take an exceptionally nasty hit by selling now... it is really a buyers marketplace right now.

Just my $0.02.

Rob
  3. SEOcidal.net

Local Time:
    it's the exchange rate with the US that is killing me just now! I used to curse the high exchange rate when I was buying stuff ... now I'm selling ... the rate is what I wanted when I was buying!
  4. James Jean

James Jean DNFcollege.com Exclusive Member

Local Time:
    9:46 AM
    What exchange rate? If you have quality names... "they will come"
  5. SEOcidal.net

Local Time:
    US dollars to UK pounds. Earlier this year, you were getting £50 for every $100. When I was buying stuff years ago, you were paying £75-£80 for every $100 spent in the US.

Just saying ... really annoying. If it had been the other way around, I probably wouldn't be eating baked beans tonight ... again. ;)
  6. Biggie

Biggie Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    9:46 AM
    just price your domains in USD or whatever is best rate for you to compensate

as for how long it takes to sell a domain

some hold names 10yrs or more before they sell, some buy today and get a sale tommorrow

but it's best to have domains/websites that generate income, so you don't have to sell to survive
    2 people like this.
  7. katherine

katherine Country hopper Exclusive Member

Local Time:
    Most domains will never sell... cause they are not really worth much to anybody other than the current holder.
  8. SEOcidal.net

Local Time:
    Aye, I've got a few of those. e.g. ncdnews.com where I had a news site. What are the chances of someone else wanting that? Even nakedcompensation.org where I set up a joke site about the industry I think is a funky name, but what other use would it have? Who else is willing to waste their time like that? ;)
  9. axeman

axeman The One and Only Exclusive Member

Local Time:
    10:46 AM
    Just think yourself lucky you are not Australian like myself, im actually looking at losses totalling more than the domain cost on one of them...............if that's even possible!

As an example I just sold a LLL.com for 1k more than i bought it and lost 3k
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
Thread Status:
You must be a logged-in, registered member of this site to view further posts in this thread.
This thread is more than 180 days old.