Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

where did all the lowballers come from?

slimpickins

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i agree that there are a lot of lowball offers but also see how that goes hand in hand with swarms of resellers looking for "the deal" that they can almost certainly make a ROI on..... doesn't make the blatantly/ridiculously low offers ok, and agree that it looks more like increasing their post count (or maybe, on occasion, bumping a buddies sales thread?) a lot of the time.

On a similar note, another thing I see often, which I am sure I am also guilty of from time to time, is people one after the other posting "what's your BIN"/"BIN please"/"PM me your BIN" etc in the make offer section, often RIGHT after the thread is started (would make more sense if several people had made offers and OP kept saying "keep the offers coming" or "looking for more" etc)..... it's as if they think the seller MEANT to post the domain for sale in the "fixed price forum" but made a mistake and put it in the wrong forum... and without the fixed asking price they meant to post. I guess it isn't as bad, but asking someone's BIN, when they have opted NOT to list one, rather than at least making an offer they are comfortable with seems like a "NOBALLER" to me.....

Domain summit 2024

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OP kept saying "keep the offers coming" or "looking for more" etc)..... it's as if they think the seller MEANT to post the domain for sale in the "fixed price forum" but made a mistake and put it in the wrong forum...
yeah, but lets face it...seeing a lot of these quotes coming from people who have no clue what the domain is worth or what they should be asking.

As sellers, we are ALWAYS looking for more and ALWAYS want the offers to keep coming in.

In the meantime, many of us don't have time for these games.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There's this Dutch lowballer on Sedo that's been insult-lowballing me for years. Every time I add an LLL.com to Sedo this SOB is the first one to make me an offer. It's usually in the $60-$200 range .. For an LLL.com, no matter what letter combo. I wish I knew who this was. I'm sure it's someone here on DNF or the other forum. :)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Ooo, I likey your analogy. I'll see if I can work that in to one of my lectures.

Rick Schwartz came up with this:

Your mindset has to change from the immediate gratification to that of investor. Hooker or Call Girl. One gets $50 and stands in the rain one gets $5000 and sits in a penthouse. Choose!
In other words, it's not that the buyer offers $50, it's that you're selling it for that much. When you learn, as the seller, to ask for $5000 - provided that your "thing" is worth the money - that's the way to success.

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

There's this Dutch lowballer on Sedo that's been insult-lowballing me for years.

Apparently he just likes Dutch bidding :D

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Basically 99% of the domains in the sales forum are HORRENDOUSLY overpriced and, in most cases, junk. Not surprised at the 'lowballing'.

This is consistant across all forums and blogs.

The only reason you will see a reasonable name for sale at a reasonable price would be if the seller is motivated because they need the cash.

-=DCG=-

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There's this Dutch lowballer on Sedo that's been insult-lowballing me for years. Every time I add an LLL.com to Sedo this SOB is the first one to make me an offer. It's usually in the $60-$200 range .. For an LLL.com, no matter what letter combo. I wish I knew who this was. I'm sure it's someone here on DNF or the other forum. :)
I don't think sending a name to sedo auction is as strong as it used to be.

And, as long as you keep posting offer acceptance in that price range, they will continue to pour in.

Personally, if I were you I would be posting a minimum of 4K or 5K for any LLL. That eliminates a lot of the nusaince. Plus, it allows you to focus your energies on serious buyers. I have recently increased all my minimum offers which is totally counter to the culture of domaining at present. Yes, less offers. But, offers that come in seem to be a willing buyer and typically the name is sold.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

This is true, If you take a look at the upcoming sedo auction you won't see much.

Trillion.com feline.com streak.com grams.com and pathology.com tell you the quality of available names has gone drastically down over the last few years.

... and Sedo is high-balling on it's expected prices.

This is a trend consistant with people that have decent names. After they read all the dnjournal hype and what some names sell for today, they hold out for huge prices hoping for that one windfall.

Some will get it but most will not.

-=DCG=-

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have recently increased all my minimum offers which is totally counter to the culture of domaining at present. Yes, less offers. But, offers that come in seem to be a willing buyer and typically the name is sold.

I do this as well, minimum before I waste any time is $1,288, minimum on decent domains is $4,888.

-=DCG=-

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
one difference i see which was hinted on here is ....

the difference between those who "hold-out" and those with the "flipper" mindset

the latter seem to be the latest group of "entries" into the domain game

they come in and read a few posts and think they can buy a good name cheap today and resell tommorrow

they use the term flip often

then you have the hold-outs

these are the long term investors

they often are willing to pay at or above todays value, and hold domains for several years to maximize roi

that group will often make the most decent offers for your domains outside of end-users.

that being said, i think i fall in with the hold-outs

Reaction score
Your mindset has to change from the immediate gratification to that of investor. Hooker or Call Girl. One gets $50 and stands in the rain one gets $5000 and sits in a penthouse. Choose!

As with most of Rick's self-important drivel this ignores one obvious inconsistency and just serves to make him think he is acting as a 'guru'. In both those cases the girls will CONSTANTLY have work. If a call girl had to go year to year not knowing if she'd ever get *any* clients at $5000 she would very soon either have found another career or been accepting $50 for cash flow. And if that call girl had to constantly tell the world how great call girls were in order to earn a living she'd be Rick Schwartz :p

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

And, as long as you keep posting offer acceptance in that price range, they will continue to pour in.

Personally, if I were you I would be posting a minimum of 4K or 5K for any LLL. That eliminates a lot of the nusaince. Plus, it allows you to focus your energies on serious buyers. I have recently increased all my minimum offers which is totally counter to the culture of domaining at present. Yes, less offers. But, offers that come in seem to be a willing buyer and typically the name is sold.

True, but if I increase my minimum offer for LLL.coms to e.g. $4k, then I might lose out on that one bidder who was initially going to offer $1k but ended up paying $10k.

I had an end-user contact me via e-mail a couple of months ago for a geo .net I owned. He was initially offering me $1k but ended up paying $20k for the domain after several weeks of negotiation and considering. Now, the negotiation options are very limited at Sedo, but I rather get several $1k offers than no offers at all on my LLL.coms (as long as Dutch people and their $75 offers stay away ;)). No offense Tim and other Dutch domainers I know. :uhoh:

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
True, but if I increase my minimum offer for LLL.coms to e.g. $4k, then I might lose out on that one bidder who was initially going to offer $1k but ended up paying $10k.

I had an end-user contact me via e-mail a couple of months ago for a geo .net I owned. He was initially offering me $1k but ended up paying $20k for the domain after several weeks of negotiation and considering. Now, the negotiation options are very limited at Sedo, but I rather get several $1k offers than no offers at all on my LLL.coms (as long as Dutch people and their $75 offers stay away ;)). No offense Tim and other Dutch domainers I know. :uhoh:

Exactly. From the experience at Sedo, the buyer increases offers by 5 to 10 times after initial payment. And so it makes sense to make 1 K reserve for 10 K domain not to lose out on such deals. Also at Sedo, if the domain receives many offers, buyers do respect more.

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Nope.
What makes an efficient market is participants with diff agendas, or as Samuelson puts it in his Economics 101, diff utility functions.

I tend to put out decent first offers if I want the name, if I am not really interested I won't bid.

Most should employ the same strategy.

-=DCG=-

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dont really care to much about the lowball offer itself. Most of the time i will either ignore, counter, or just reply "no" or worse. What gets to me are the snippy ones. Kids that have been in this business for 2 months and are now experts on domain value. Then after a couple of back and forth pms, you end up being the ahole and now on the newbies sh*t list. LOL, Write it down, take a picture, I dont give a fk ;) My two cents for the day Dr Biggie ... but good post.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i can't really blame lowballers. you see some sellers on here and they are so desperate. constantly lowering their bin and seem to really need the sale. people are going to take advantage of this.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What gets to me are the snippy ones. Kids that have been in this business for 2 months and are now experts on domain value. Then after a couple of back and forth pms, you end up being the ahole and now on the newbies sh*t list. LOL, Write it down, take a picture, I dont give a fk ;)

Hi JE!

lol

that has happened to me a couple of times too

and on some occassions they can get quite arrogant about it

you see some sellers on here and they are so desperate. constantly lowering their bin and seem to really need the sale. people are going to take advantage of this.

that true also

when a good offer is made and we're into negotiations, that's usually when i'll consider lowering bin.

but to constantly lower price before getting any offers can signal desperation

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i can't really blame lowballers. you see some sellers on here and they are so desperate. constantly lowering their bin and seem to really need the sale. people are going to take advantage of this.

Yes, the forums have been very much "supply side domaining" for months now. People that are able have bought many names at prices vultures would be happy with. If there's one deal too good to pass up, there are a thousand. Sure, your 2 word .com might be worth x amount to you, but why would the buyer bother when they can get an equal quality name for less at bin? The vulture throws an offer out there. If they get it, they are happy. If not, so what? True, offering xxx for a lll.com is ridiculous, but with all the fair-good-better names being offered so cheap, it's a buyers market, at least for 2nd/3rd tier names.

At least one factor, in addition to the general economic factors, is ppc revenue. With parking down so drastically, many names are not paying for themselves, and they want to get whatever they can for them rather then letting them drop.

Last edited:

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The only reason you will see a reasonable name for sale at a reasonable price would be if the seller is motivated because they need the cash.
But even when sellers [like me] post what we view as "reasonable names at reasonable prices", nobody seems much interested. I posted a list of better-quality .com's for sale (at reseller prices) 24 hours ago, and not a sale or even an offer yet.

Apart from acronym-type domains, it seems like there's not much demand for anything in between super-premium domains and el-cheapo ones.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Making $5 is better than making nothing at all ;)

... and if she is only offered $5 she is on the wrong street corner or didn't state her minimum price.

I tend to put out decent first offers if I want the name, if I am not really interested I won't bid.

Most should employ the same strategy.

-=DCG=-

the moral of this story is when negotitating with a hooker, always aske her lowest BIN ;)

Oh, and unlike domains, the LOWER the traffic, the better :D

with a BIN of $1k i would estimate 'traffic' of 1 or 2 'uniques' :D a day

if the BIN is 5 bucks then maybe 100 uniques! lol

(i can feel a domain gang post coming on, maybe Rick as the 'traffic queen' not 'traffic king' lol, rick with his goatee in a pencil skirt :D LOL

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators