Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

discussion Who else checks their sold domains?

This is a general discussion thread revolving around the a topic of the original poster's choice.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Elliot Silver wrote a nice piece on a domain he acquired for $18, sold for $5000, and turned out to be purchased by a company that received $150 million in round(s) of funding.

The tone of the article makes me wonder if he believes this to be a good sale or one that he regrets. I would assume that he's happy with what he received from the sale as there was no way of him knowing. And if not, he shouldn't beat himself up over leaving any money on the table.

With that said, does anybody else follow up with domains they sold?

For the reason of having seller's remorse, as it sounds that Elliot faced a little, I don't. I treat a domain name just as I do a swing trade in the stock market: I'm up, it's sold, it's profit, and it snowballs into growth. I don't look back at "what ifs", only forward to "what nows".

Domain summit 2024

robmonster

Epik.com CEO
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is a story of co-creating abundance. It is 100% full of win. I see only gravitas and class in how Elliot described the journey of seeing his inspiration blossom into an enterprise.

Scarcity is an illusion. Many domainers exhibit excessive attachment to their domains. They grieve every drop and have seller's remorse. It is an illness with larger consequences.

Fortunately there is a remedy. Treat each domain as an asset for which you are a steward without getting hung up on the win-lose model where one has to lose for the other to win.

Find a way to co-create value: sell, lease, finance or even gift a domain if that is what it takes to get a deserving and serious buyer the right name to realize their vision.

Related parables:

ramkumaritrvs

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The reason I do that is curiosity.

Since I bought several domains for development (i developed a few), it's actually a great feeling if they are developed large.

I don't care who bought it. The idea is what excites me.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Since I bought several domains for development (i developed a few), it's actually a great feeling if they are developed large.
As a developer myself, I only invest in domain names that I see I can build a business out if all else fails. Now you're making me curious as to which domains I sold that are developed, and if they took the same route I would have with the name.

However, I would never dwell on the "what if" of the question "could I have gotten more?" as that is just time wasted that can be put to better use.

I don't care who bought it. The idea is what excites me.
This pretty much aligns with what @robmonster stated about essentially giving the person — other than yourself, and how I understood it — the name they need to be successful as it would've been my name that took me to success.

Now I'm curious. 🤔😆

Quite a different perspective here. Maybe I'll go over some of my sales now and see if any of them are in use.

Siful Moni

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I sometimes follow what I've sold. I sold EvCharge.net last year and found it developed within a few days.

I feel great to see my names are reflecting a project.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

sometimes during negotiations, the buyer may disclose purpose for acquisition, so i may know beforehand
but i have checked to see what the new owners do with the domain, when it's a blind sale, like on a marketplace

i few times, i've sold domains and the buyers never change the dns, so i may still see traffic for that name.
on one occasion, i hand-regged a name and sold it for $500 and a couple of years later, it dropped.

so, i re-registered it and kept for another year or so, then let it drop again.

sold a LLL.org a couple of years ago they put up a nice website, but i checked it recently and saw it on expiring list.
so i backordered it :)
over the years though, i've seen lots of names change hands between domainers.
they rotate around from domainer to domainer, until somebody sells one out of rotation or develops it.

here are my past sales on sedo and afternic, that have either been developed or were forwarded to related site.
grammarcoach.com
wufy.com
boilerservice.com

imo...

Darlington Omeh

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I do check mine once in a while with most still sitting there for sale. Like Biggie said, many domains rotate from Domainers to Domainers until they finally dropped out of the circle.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Happy to see three out of my last five sales have been developed into business websites. The other two are recent and still haven't updated their DNS.

One business upgraded / rebranded, one redirects to a sub-category, the other was a new business.

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I never sell my PREMIUM domains without knowing the end user or the purported use of the domain.

I ask my clients to fill out my contact form located at contact.mapledots.ca

I don't require that form on my so so domains but for any 1 word domains I will not even consider selling until I 100% understand who the end user is and what the domain will be used for.

When someone balks at filling out the form I simply ask them to hunt around for another one word domain.

I remember reading a post on another forum where somebody sold a domain with the word kid in it and it ended up going to facebook. The guy kept saying he was satisfied with what he received but after reading that statement for the fourth time I realized he had massive regrets selling and not knowing who the end user was.

My policy is simple, I decide the selling price of my domain based on who the VERIFIED buyer is.
If a large LLC company comes calling the price will be higher than if a one store business is contacting me.

That said, most of my one word domains will be out of reach for the standard ma and pa shops.

Last edited:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My policy is simple, I decide the selling price of my domain based on who the VERIFIED buyer is.
Sounds kind of dangerous with what's going on with Fortini.com now.

I do like your strategy though. I prefer to have domains a bit more passive than getting involved in every little aspect of it so that I can use that time doing something else (reading charts, etc., outside of domaining as there's only so much from within). Just hit the BUY button and them transfer, you know?

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators