Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

who would buy a developed site and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a pretty basic question about developing a site with the intention of selling it (once the traffic numbers are there). My question is: Why would someone buy a developed site?

Would it be like someone buying a company and keeping with the status quo (i.e. customers will see no difference) or do the buyers usually buy the site/domain, take it off-line, and come back with something totally different (i.e. buying "starbucks.com” and turning it into an astronomy blog?)

Also, what would be the best way to develop a site, a blog that may or may not complement the domain name, or should I act like I know what I'm doing by making it an information site?

Any and all info is appreciated

Domain Summit 2024

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Would it be like someone buying a company and keeping with the status quo (i.e. customers will see no difference) or do the buyers usually buy the site/domain, take it off-line, and come back with something totally different (i.e. buying "starbucks.com” and turning it into an astronomy blog?)

The main benefits of buying a developed name is:
  • Already indexed in search engines
  • established traffic
  • possible scalable revenue
  • possible returning users

Not to mention that it saves the domainer time and money in developing the name. Once a domainer buys a developed website, he may have his own intentions with it (park it, tear it down) or he may want to improve it. It depends on the person.

But you have the general idea when you said "Would it be like someone buying a company and keeping with the status quo". But it's a little more to that. When buying an established company, the status, revenue, expenses, customers, reputation, etc all come with it. It's the same as buying a developed domain.

Also, what would be the best way to develop a site, a blog that may or may not complement the domain name, or should I act like I know what I'm doing by making it an information site?

Any and all info is appreciated

The best way to develop a site is to stick with what you know. If you don't know the topic, hire someone who does. If you don't know where to start, pick 1 domain, install Wordpress and experiment with it for awhile.

Tia

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it has income, then it's the same as a parked domain for income, or any other income earning investment.

There are all sorts of other reasons as well.
1. Personal interest,
2. A built domain might not have been monetized well, which the potential buyer may do better than the web-site builder,
3. Building a web-site portfolio, which can benefit one another

gingeman

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ca-ching! $$$

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Revenue.
And because a developed domain is worth more than a domain in parking when you try to sell it.
Look Latona how develop mini sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom