Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Why do people still use GoDaddy? (serious inquiry)

Status
Not open for further replies.

demaxxus

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why do so many people still use GoDaddy? Especially domainers.

I haven't used them in years myself, and I try to avoid them like the plague, but it seems like there are a ton of people selling domains on DNF that still use them. So, I'm wondering if maybe their system has changed in the last few years and they now have some features that are beneficial to domainers.

Just trying to make sense of why so many people on here use them.

demaxxus

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Since posting this I have even had some of my own 'fun' with GoDaddy.

I bought a few domains from someone on NP, and they pushed them to me through GoDaddy. Well, even though I followed the exact same process for all of them (it was a single batch operation performed on all of the domains at once so nothing should have been different for any of them), one of the domains that was pushed to me was marked as deleted instead of moving into my account. So it wasn't in my account, nor the seller's account, it was just gone.

After contacting GoDaddy and having them blame me for this deletion, they finally told me how to restore the domain. The funny thing is, I had already gone through the same steps that they gave me, but the domain wasn't available for restoration before. It only appeared there after I contacted support.

It's because of issues like this (and the much bigger issues I see people post on here) that have me baffled as to why so many people still use them. There must be something to it if so many domainers use them though, right?

What am I missing?

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been using godaddy since about 2000 along with moniker and a few others in the past few years. I do not have many problems at all with godaddy...I can count on one hand the number of issues I have had over the last 9 years...and I think there has been only one issue that did not get resolved.

I am happier with godaddy than any other registrar actually. I have had much more frustration with customer service else where. I have had an account exec since they implemented them for large account holders. The account execs really help if there are any issues.

exxe

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GoDaddy is just fine.

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No major complaints here. The interface can be a bit annoying, but security is excellent, and everything is easy to use when you figure out where it is. Referring to them as a registrar, not for hosting.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
never had any problems with godaddy. if you have enough domains with them you get a 'vip' contact to a rep which is nice.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is no perfect registrar, you can find one small black dot in their services or products. Just the norm, I prefer them in order.

Enom
Godaddy
Moniker

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why do so many people still use GoDaddy? Especially domainers.

I haven't used them in years myself, and I try to avoid them like the plague, but it seems like there are a ton of people selling domains on DNF that still use them. So, I'm wondering if maybe their system has changed in the last few years and they now have some features that are beneficial to domainers.

Just trying to make sense of why so many people on here use them.

i think it's because of the ads

imo...godaddy is not a domainer friendly registrar

even though reps from gd are members here, they won't do anything for you on a personal basis
( at least not for me)

whereas, with places like fab, moniker...you can "ask" those respective members here something and they will do their best to address it.

i would never register a domain at gd and i only use them because i bought names from other domainers that were regged there.

imo...

Last edited:

GeoOwners

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Godaddy keeps improving all the time...

using discount codes you can save an arse load of $$$ if you have a number of domains.

none of them are error free...

imo the UI at name.com is second to none.

chillking

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think godaddy is the best register i have ever used i also pay around $150 for 2 years for a special members club were i get .com's for around $6 i works out good for me because i have a few thousand domains.
I also have accounts with moniker and other registers but godaddy is best service and the cheapest.

mulligan

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
To be brutally honest .. wouldn't give Bob any business if I could help it. Only reason he will ever have me 'on board' is if I happen to buy a domain that's locked into his system. (Woops, I guess thats another 60 days, huh Bob?) Otherwise, forget it

HomerJ

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is no perfect registrar, you can find one small black dot in their services or products. Just the norm, I prefer them in order.

I agree completely. we are all biased based on our personal experience. one person can have horror stories with some registrar while another person may have never had a single issue.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Two reasons I use GoDaddy:

1. TDNAM purchases

2. $1.07 .info's

Apart from that, no thanks.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
At least they answer the phone everytime... :yo:

Warrior

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dont care much for GoDaddy. 2 amateurish 4 me.

Prefer Rebel & Fabulous.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have used Godaddy for almost 10 years and never had any issues with them. Their prices are good, and the domain and email forwarding have worked fine. I only buy domains there, don't use any other services because I have my own website builder. Plus I always wonder who the next Godaddy Girl will be.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with this and I can't say how many threads I see here where domain owners have had domains stolen and they have done nothing to help them...
imo;)
imo...godaddy is not a domainer friendly registrar

i would never register a domain at gd and i only use them because i bought names from other domainers that were regged there.

imo...

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the biggest reason I am staying with them on a limited basis is an awesome account manager.

Can you believe it? This guy actually picks up the phone and calls me to see if there is anything he can assist me with?

Simply awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators