Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Why Does 'members Viewing' Sometimes Show Extra Member But Not Named?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am a little puzzled about this. I have noticed that when I look at a thread at the bottom it shows "Users Who Are Viewing This Thread" under which it then shows separately the number of members and number of visitors viewing the thread and under this it lists the actual members then viewing the thread. What I do not understand is that sometimes the number of 'members viewing' does not tally (always by +1) with the named members then shown underneath as viewing.

Example

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 1)
BillRoy, iehfubfuqbf

Why is there sometimes this discrepancy? Is it an intermittent fault in the program or is the name of one certain member who is viewing never shown?

A quirky situation, just wondered if anyone happens to know the answer?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Guest = nonmember

Or it could be a member who is not logged in.

Just non members trolling, most likely.

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@Gerry - That doesn't hold for several reasons.

1) The number of non-members (visitors) viewing are shown separately, therefore would not be shown in the 'members viewing' number.
2) If a member is 'not logged in' then the system would treat him/her as a 'visitor' obviously for the system would have no way of knowing whether a 'visitor' was a member or not.
3) There is only ever a difference of +1 of the 'members viewing' compared to the list of members viewing, if the number varied then it could support such an explanation, but it doesn't. The number is either the same as the list of members or +1, no variation from this.
4) As for 'non-members trolling' well these would just be treated as 'visitors and therefore would not affect number of members viewing.

This is why I am perplexed by this anomaly. The simple answer would be if a members name was not shown when viewing a thread, possibly an administrator. The problem is that if this is not the case then there is either a fault in the forum program OR someone is managing to gain access to the site unlawfully which could mean there is a potential for a very severe security risk for the forum.

Anyone else any thoughts on this?

(Please remember that it was only a few years ago that DNF was hacked and was down for days, so any such possible security question should be treated with all seriousness.)

Last edited:

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some may take a look at the thread with a pair of binocular so that does not count.
Why it's so important for you to know? You need buyer not looker.

Last edited:

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@Johnn - What?????????

If there is a problem with the forum program I would have thought that was reason enough, if there was someone gaining access to the forum unlawfully I would have thought EVERY member would want it sorted, but especially people like you, other mods, administrators, and especially ADAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, I was just trying to do the decent thing and check out with others before I brought the subject up with you lot. Obviously it cannot be a 'problem' or otherwise your reaction would have been different (I hope). Never mind, I think I can work out the answer myself now anyhow. ;)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The theory of plus one is because that is all you have seen.

Just now, looking at one of Theo's post, here are the results:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)
  1. Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators