Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

seo Will changing domain name affect seo?

This is a question regarding SEO power of a domain name.

SheilaNorris

Level 1
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am a fresh graduate student. Currently my first job as an SEOer. I am doing a project for the company, which is SEO for a music website, I do SEO music web that for a while. For some reason, the music website that I SEO had to change the domain name. I am concerned that such a domain name change has any impact on SEO. Do not know if that is true? Hope everyone can help me.
Thanks everyone.

kevinthomppsonn

Level 2
Reaction score
Yes, domain name change will have some affect but you can 301 redirect all the links to your new domain. This way you can have your SEO in place and the traffic you are getting. You just have to inform all the people you link to that you changed your domain and they need to update the link with new domain name.

I hope it helps.

Domain summit 2024

Philip Allen

Reaction score
there is no big deal with it. you can use 301 redirect if you mitgrating your site to other domain. By using 301 redirect your alll authority will be shifted to news domain and your user will also be landed to new domain.

bhartzer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When you migrate a website to another domain name, there's a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it. I've actually been migrating domains for years now; many hire me to do domain migrations. If you don't do it properly you WILL lose rankings and traffic to the site.

You will definitely want to use 301 Permanent Redirects to redirect to the new domain name. Also, make sure that you put some content on the domain you're moving TO, make sure it can get indexed in Google, and verify it in Google Search Console. Make sure that when you do get it indexed that the content matches (the same topic) what you're moving to it. For example, if it's a music site make sure you put content related to music on it and let it get indexed. Don't have other content like sports content on it, that will only confuse the search engines.

Crawl the website and record all of the URLs; set up 301 redirects from the old pages to the new pages on the new domain. Ideally the actual page names and filenames won't change, just the domain name should change. Once you've moved the content, set up the 301 redirects on the old domain name, test that they're working, and then go ahead and use the Google Change of Address form to tell them you've moved.

If you really want to get deep into learning about domain migrations, I've put together a pretty extensive guide together for OnCrawl that details everything you need to know: https://www.oncrawl.com/technical-seo/domain-migration/

Darlington Omeh

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes, big time. No matter how well you do the 301 redirect, your search engine ranking is going to fall significantly. Except the domain you're changing to has higher respect in Google's eyes. Even at that, you're still likely to suffer downward spiral before bumping back up.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators