Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

WIPO Threat - Does Deletion of Domain = no arbitration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerlinK

Premium Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just received a UDRP threat from a rather large company, to which, I offered to simply transfer the name to them.

However, in addition to the transfer, they are requiring me to fax back a form, relinquishing rights to the domain, before they are willing to terminate the WIPO.

Sure, I could do this, but wouldn't it be just as easy to simply DELETE the domain, and relinquish ownership to the general public?

How does WIPO handle domains that are pending arbitration, but have been deleted?

Domain Summit 2024

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They are asking you to put it in writing that you no longer wish to have rights to the domain? May I ask why the hesitation?

As far as deleting the domain, it would not eliminate legal liability. It could also make the big company mad... maybe make an example of you...

Would something like this happen, probably not, but the possibility is there. Also, doesn't the registrar have the domain on hold, so you couldn't delete it even if you wanted to.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DNQuest.com said:
Also, doesn't the registrar have the domain on hold, so you couldn't delete it even if you wanted to.

It's a sure bet the registrar's already received the UDRP notice. Once they do,
they'll "lock" it to prevent anyone from doing anything to it, pending response
from the UDRP provider of the outcome.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's a sure bet the registrar's already received the UDRP notice.

From what the OP wrote, you can't tell WTF is going on actually. First, he says he got a threat letter, then he says "terminate the WIPO".

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom