Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Wow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Summit 2024

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The patent office seems much more willing to allow this sort of thing in the computer and Internet field than anywhere else. If you could patent concepts of TV programs like you can patent concepts of computer programs, then maybe the creators of Survivor would have been able to get a patent on the idea of "A television show in which contestants are voted off one at a time," and then sue everybody from The Weakest Link to American Idol.

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think this patent will hold up, too many sites did this before VS did. I remember nameboy or something doing this years ago.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But, if other sites have been doing it this way for years. Do they have the right to tell Register.com or Enom to stop doing that type of searches? Eventhough, they can prove they have been offering the service for many years.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"I don't think this patent will hold up, too many sites did this before VS did. I remember nameboy or something doing this years ago."

The patent is based on a provisional application filed in August 1997. If you want to invalidate the patent based on prior use or sale, then you have to show someone doing this prior to August 1996.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"But, if other sites have been doing it this way for years. Do they have the right to tell Register.com or Enom to stop doing that type of searches? Eventhough, they can prove they have been offering the service for many years."

Absolutely.

Register.com and Enom.com did not even exist when the patent application was filed.

It can take a long time for a patent application to mature into a patent. The patent rights are enforcible as soon as the patent issues. Just because other people started practicing the invention while your application was pending, does not give them the right to continue after your patent issues.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jberryhill "...If you want to invalidate the patent based on prior use or sale, then you have to show someone doing this prior to August 1996.

Hi John, I was wondering if you could tell us how long one has to invalidate a registered trademark/service mark if one say's the mark was granted in error? The mark I refer to is going on 2-yrs since issued.

P.S. Is that something you can also handle? Thanks.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok, lets go at this from a different position.

In business when a manufacturer has a patent on the manufacturing process. His competitors change their mfging process slightly to bypass the patent.

I would assume this is what the other registrars will do. And, they usually end up a better product for their customers..

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DCG, do you own novelint.com?

BTW, how much does a patent cost and how much does a TM cost?

And also,

If i get a tm in Canada, what if someone in the US (or uraguay) infringes on the TM?

Thanks

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Hi John, I was wondering if you could tell us how long one has to invalidate a registered trademark/service mark if one say's the mark was granted in error? The mark I refer to is going on 2-yrs since issued.

P.S. Is that something you can also handle? Thanks."

If there are grounds for cancellation of a trademark, then one can pursue a cancellation proceeding at any time. One question I would have is why you feel compelled to do so.

lotsofissues

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
More importantly what is the likelihood they will begin threatening competitors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom