Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Wrong Whois information and Trademark Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedsudol

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I recently received a physical copy of an complaint by Microsoft seeking the reassignment of 29 bing.... domain names. The email address the person who has registered these domain names is using is [email protected]. I do not use that email address, I use a different email configuration of my name at gmail and did not register these domain names. Thinking it was just a case of mistaken identity I went to the whois and found to my surprise my contact information listed for these domains with the [email protected] email address. The complaint further goes on to state that as evidence of my bad faith I contacted Microsoft and tried to sell them the domains for $29,990. They further go on to say that I sold 9 of the domains to an individual in China. The only problem is it wasn't me - I never contacted Microsoft to sell these domains and never sold or transferred any of these domains to anyone in China.

The problem with whois is anyone can enter any information. As long as you have the email address and the account password you can control the domain. I don't know if anyone at name.com is involved since when I tried to change the account password it said a new password was being mailed to n***[email protected] I don't know if the individual in China to whom these names were transferred to Yaoxin Liu is aware of the problem and the fact that Microsoft may bring an action against him.

While I agree with the goal of the action, to reassign these names to microsoft and that will be what happens, it seems like not responding is agreeing to the allegations of bad faith, etc,

Has this happened to anyone else? What course of action do you suggest? Thanks in advance for your help

All the best,
Ted Sudol

Domain Summit 2024

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Man, thats quite the pickle huh? I would reply directly to the complaint and demonstrate the facts you just outlined above, especially where the new email is being forwarded to. Get screen caps, etc, before that is changed.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Contact ICANN, cc Mircosoft and the Registrar where the domains were registered. Report the domains being registered under the wrong/false whois information.

Just a thought.

goodluck keep us posted.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Microsoft will probably have to subpoena the registrar to trace the person.
It's scary but you are not the first victim of such cowardice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom