Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Your advices are needed for this case

Status
Not open for further replies.

owntag

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a good sounding LLLL.com (CVCV) domain name e.g. CVCV.com which was registered in Dec, 1995.
It's a good sounding CVCV, easy to remember and highly brandable. I have developed it into an online flash game site and it works really well so far.

However, I just noticed the CVCV has been registered as a Trademark.

Word Mark: CVCV
Translations: "CVCV" is the pronunciation of the name of a famous hero character of a legend.
Goods and Services
Trademark Filing Date: Nov, 1995
Published for Opposition: Jan, 1997
Registration Date: Nov, 1997

Goods and Services:

games, playthings and sporting goods, namely, collectible toy figures and action figures and action figure accessories, talking toy figures, collectible toy figures, [ electronic or mechanical toy batons, toy milk caps, windup toys, ] plush toys, toy vehicles, dolls and role playing game equipment in the nature of male action toys and models, activity sets and playset environments comprised of mini figures/scene displays, toy figures, [ spin-top toys; electronic toys, namely, video game machines, hand held units for playing LDC and LED games, computer game software and video arcade game machines

I have 2 questions here:

1. Considering the registration date and Goods and Services descriptions, can I run the domain for online flash game site?

2. A serious issue. The CVCV is the pronunciation of a famous character of a legend hero, and this character has been on Movies and lot's of Video Games, there are also many flash games about this character. Also, the adsense sometimes shows game advertisements relate to this character. Should I remove all flash games regarding this character? Or should I put disclaimer statement on my website? Then as for the adsense ads, it's unavoidable.

Your opinions are needed, thanks in advance.

owntag

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Any input? thanks

Melly

Pink Lover!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would personally take the website down.

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Humm...
Sounds like you are infringing on their TM.
What good would taking the site down do?
TM owner can easily find your site on archive.org and/or on google.

On the other hand, TM owner didn't bother with your domain for more than 13 yrs.
Or, did they already contact you?

If they didn't, how about...
Transfer the domain to someone else you know which would show
entirely different whois and make site that has nothing to do with TM?

It's just my opinion and I am not a lawyer ;)

owntag

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Melissa and copper.

No, they didn't contact me. I just bought the domain for a few weeks as a great CVCV. Haven't thought it could be a TM until checking google and TM database.

I will wait for more opinions and suggestions here and do the right thing.

Thanks again.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it owntag. I know which name you're talking about...the flash games have nothing to do with the trademark. I guess they may rule it to be similar...but with that name....you can develop it into almost anything.

owntag

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it owntag. I know which name you're talking about...the flash games have nothing to do with the trademark. I guess they may rule it to be similar...but with that name....you can develop it into almost anything.

Thanks, theinvestor.

Yes, you may think of the correct domain since it was in namejet auction then I bought it here @ DNF.

Per their TM Goods and Services that it includes games and computer game software, it's too general here and I'm not sure if flash game is part of it. Or if I remove the flash games about this TMed character and add a disclaimer in website, does this help?

Thanks again.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
games and computer game software would fall in the same TM class as flash games - which are, essentially, computer games.

owntag

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Acro

Do you think if I remove such game from my site and also add a disclaimer says so will be treat as using in good faith?

I'm also unsure about the adsense thing.

owntag

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, copper, I totally forgot this filter option. Will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom