Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Your favorite automated domain value tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodnamez

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What is everyone's favorite automated domain value tool or domain formula? I know that a lot of people say they are worthless, and that may be true. However, I have seen several posts in which domainers use the results from Estibot to give credibility to the prices they are charging for their domains. Also, newbies like myself sometimes need a tool or formula for help because we are still learning about domaining. In browsing the internet, I stumbled upon an interview (http://www.domainsherpa.com/dennis-lastochkin-domainparking-interview/) where they were talking about Dennis Lastochkin's DomainWorth.com. I guess he has left DomainWorth.com, but the tool is still active, and I have used it, and I like it because not only does it give me higher values :yes: than Estibot.com (in most cases), but the report that it produces shows what data is used to come up with the values, which I also like. I have also used the formula by Andrew Rosner domainsherpa.com/andrew-rosener-mediaoptions-inverview/ and it seems to be more consistent with DomainWorth.com than with Estibot (at least with the few domains I have tried). Anyway, I am very new to domaining, and I would like to know if you have found any other domain value tools or formulas that you would like to share.

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Any automated appraisal is worthless. Gaining credibility ? It's exactly the opposite, if you need a tool to price your domain. As a buyer, I could also counter your price with another automated appraisal that is equally worthless, but more advantageous to me.

I understand that you are learning, but a bot will not teach you anything.

There is no magic formula. However, consider the following:
  • comparable sales
  • gut feeling (very important)
  • many sales are in the 4-figure range, it's the sweet spot for end user sales
  • domains that are very strong could fetch 5 figures, premium generic keywords can fetch 6 figures etc
  • domains that are decent but not premium will often sell for < $1000
  • the right price is somewhere between your expectations and what an end user is willing to pay
  • a bot will not teach you what makes a domain valuable
  • domains don't sell because they have nice appraisals, they sell because somebody wants them. If there is no buyer, then how much is your domain worth ?

Vanster

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
dnsaleprice.com
domainindex.com
zfbot.com

I think katherine is spot on though; domain value is such a subjective thing, that no bot can get it right. Rosner's formula, if I recall correctly, is based on adwords cpc and ranking estimates. That is at least based on some real open data, but still...

Some kind of peer appraisal system would be interesting, but again subjectivity is inescapable :)

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If Estibot had any accuracy whatsoever I'd be a millionaire and live on a private island

Ignore automated domain appraisal services, ie bots, btw did you add domains to Sedo (for parking or sale, same screen) in the last couple of years ? They tell you a CCC.com is in the thousands, an NNNNN.com in the high hundreds and an LLLL.com is like $1K, that's their own bot btw. It's even more out of whack with generics

You get a good laugh in lots of places that offer this. Even a "trained human eye" or "experienced appraiser" like some websites advertise, it's just an opinion and the person doing that may not even be a trader. You and only you can be the judge of the value of your domains after digesting all you see and experience by yourself on auction sites and domain forums

Last time I had a noob runnin around tellin me he'd pay me what I asked for a $500 name if he got that valuation from an appraisal service. It wasn't a scam, he just wanted to make sure I wouldn't overcharge him. Well, Estibot told him the domain I had quoted him at $500 (and I was even willing to go down in price) was worth $2,700..... Someone forgot to tell him "Be careful what you wish for" ...He went away in any case, screw him lol

:sing:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Its a lot about the brandablity of the name that makes it valuable to the end user!
Very true. I have sold many brandable type domains with zero search volume.
Based on the metrics alone (blinders on mode) those names would be appraised very low. There are many subjective factors that no bot could appraise.

fenomeno

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I use valuate.com just for fun, but appraisals are useless, even manual appraisals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom