Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Zedo.com Spyware/Adware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just recognized that my browser (IE7) shows the URL of zedo.com in the status bar for one short moment before it loads my home page (about:blank).

It seems like this is some adware or so from zedo.com. Do you know how to remove them from my PC?

I have already tried using Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE and Microsoft AntiSpyware (both updated), but none of them successfully removed zedo.com. I also deleted all cookies, but this did not work either.

Every tip will be appreciated.

Thank you!

DNGeeks

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Delete the following cookies

zedo
c1.zedo
c2.zedo
c5.zedo
zedo.com

and that's it. Zedo is apparently only a tracking cookie. No other removal information has been found.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bruce, thanks for your tip.

As I said though, I have already deleted all cookies from my computer (just did it again) and zedo is still loading when I start my browser, although none of the cookies you mentioned can be found on my PC's hard disc... Does anybody else have an idea what I can do to get rid of them?

Thanks!

DNGeeks

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
None of the spyware/adware sites mention anything more about it. Has your homepage changed at all under the IE settings?

One other tip, have you tried Spybot search and destroy? It's Freeware and quite good at removing most spy/adware.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DNGeeks said:
...One other tip, have you tried Spybot search and destroy? It's Freeware and quite good at removing most spy/adware.

WARNING: IMO, stay away from that program. After suspecting I had spyware on my PC did lots of research on the issue and learned that it was believed by some experts S & D actually had contracts with marketing firms (God know who else} to put the spyware and adware on computers. In fact, that would seem to be how they make money since the removal program is free.

I was told about another removal program which was highly recommended and had great reviews in the pc magazines. I purchased it and the first time I ran it the new program easily located and removed more than 800 adware and spyware programs running in my system, including several high risk ones.

Since the same day S and D reported none I must assume they were all blessed as being OK by them and non-identified.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DNGeeks said:
None of the spyware/adware sites mention anything more about it. Has your homepage changed at all under the IE settings?

One other tip, have you tried Spybot search and destroy? It's Freeware and quite good at removing most spy/adware.
No, the homepage has not changed, but before the homepage shows up I see that the browser loads a zedo.com URL (just for a second, the site does not show up, only the URL in the browser's status bar). I have not found any information on Zedo.com either and my spy/adware removal programs could not find and remove it.

*EDIT* trader, just read your post. So I think I will not try Spybot. Thanks!

DNGeeks

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The hundreds of reviews of spybot speak differently. And yet there are paid applictions which detect fake (nonexistant) spyware and adware just to sucker people in and make them think the program works better than anything else.

Panda antivirus is also an excellent tool.

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i heard the same about SBS&D. they sold out to spyware firms. good time too because they have tens of millions of users.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with Microsoft's anti-spyware (beta?) or
McAfee's Anti-spyware?

I tested MS's anti-spyware and deleted it from my computer after a couple days..
It seemed to cause more problems then it was worth.

I have used spybot. And, I could believe it was putting cookies "on" rather than
taking them off.

How else could they make any money? Shame on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom