Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Adsense not targeting well, any way to fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I want adsense ads for the keyword coffee.

It used to work well but on my coffee site, i get all kinds of ads now;
paypal, google chrome, lawn fertilizer... why?

the site is a blog, and has articles about coffee, coffee shops,
coffee flavors, etc - all articles very on topic. Site is PR4.

It bugs me I cant 'steer' adsense to a keyword. Maybe the simple
answer is, that other advertisers are bidding on this keyword.
But that sucks, google should keep it on topic!

Q: Any way to get adsense back on-topic?
Q: Any other ad network that can be kept on topic?

Kevin

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
maybe you are only seeing those ads and others are not

then too, those other kwds may be popular now and G is trying to help ya.

woofard

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I want adsense ads for the keyword coffee.

It used to work well but on my coffee site, i get all kinds of ads now;
paypal, google chrome, lawn fertilizer... why?

the site is a blog, and has articles about coffee, coffee shops,
coffee flavors, etc - all articles very on topic. Site is PR4.

It bugs me I cant 'steer' adsense to a keyword. Maybe the simple
answer is, that other advertisers are bidding on this keyword.
But that sucks, google should keep it on topic!

Q: Any way to get adsense back on-topic?
Q: Any other ad network that can be kept on topic?

Kevin

I wonder about this also. If I fund my Paypal account with money from a moneypack, all of a sudden I see moneypack ads all over my sites, instead of relevant ads or ads I think should be showing.

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong because I don't know a lot about this, but I believe google works with retargeting, aka showing you ads for stuff you have done/searched for online. So they might be personalized for just you?

Try different comps/locations/accounts and see if it differs

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The best way to test would be to start your browser from scratch - No cache, no cookies no history......

And make sure you are not logged into google prior to clearing the cache or after, too.

woofard

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And make sure you are not logged into google prior to clearing the cache or after, too.

That worked for me... Site keywords showed up with clean browser (cookies, cache, history, etc) and not logged in. I might be showing my ignorance here, but it does look like those ads are "cookie-over-content" driven. If you've got browser history the ads can play to, they do. If there's no history, the ads use site keywords... At least that's what seems to be going on for me

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The best way to test would be to start your browser from scratch - No cache, no cookies no history......

Easier: Install Chrome, IE, and Firefox. Pick one as your 'main' browser, and one of the others for testing like this.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They are also targeted by geo-ip location too.

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks; starting clean did seem to help.

Thanks, Tia.

Another, related question: if you refresh the page, google shows the same ad again; over and over.
How dumb is that? If the user did not click the first time, wouldn't it be more interesting, to show
some other ad?

woofard

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Thanks, Tia.

Another, related question: if you refresh the page, google shows the same ad again; over and over.
How dumb is that? If the user did not click the first time, wouldn't it be more interesting, to show
some other ad?

I saw that also on another fresh Adsense install but if you check back after a day or so, the ads do become dynamic and do change alot more often when refreshing (at least on my sites, so far). Somewhere, clicking around through that link Tia posted, it did say Google needs some time to figure out what to post there.

Preciousmetals

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
google adsense works off of your browers Cache... So if you visited a website about lawn fertilizer or a website about zoo's then google is going to use your browsers cache to display ad's related to whatever you were looking at, Which is directing targeted traffic for google adsense. Also if you refresh your page and see the same content that is also because of your browsers cache, Just press Contrl-F5 and that will do a hard refresh on the page you are looking at and clean the cache just for that page..

Hope that helps,

( full time webmaster lol )

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are you suggesting that they are exploiting a hole in one of the browsers?? Which one?

Browsers never allow direct access to anything from another website unless they are loaded in the same page AND sharing a cookie. Hacking into browser cache is a would be a huge privacy violation, not to mention they could extract credit card numbers, passwords, tracking data, competitive data, etc.

google adsense works off of your browers Cache... So if you visited a website about lawn fertilizer or a website about zoo's then google is going to use your browsers cache to display ad's related to whatever you were looking at, Which is directing targeted traffic for google adsense. Also if you refresh your page and see the same content that is also because of your browsers cache, Just press Contrl-F5 and that will do a hard refresh on the page you are looking at and clean the cache just for that page..

Hope that helps,

( full time webmaster lol )

Preciousmetals

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
With most softwares including browsers there is certain access websites can use and certain access they cannot such as your saved passwords, History etc... Almost every single website on the web uses your browsers cache to load pages quicker once you have already visited the website. That is completely legal and where google picked up the logic of displaying ad's based on your browsers cache/cookies. Also when you use google adsense you are adding javascript directly to your websites template. So even though google adsense is not connected to your website the code is being worked by your website and just inputting dynamic data from google. Not an exploit of any kind, Just good programmers ;)

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the comments.

The main intent of the thread, is to find out how to get ad's targeted; I think I need to find an alternative to adsense.

Can someone help me with that - if I have a coffee blog, I want coffee ads - even if godaddy is bidding more for the 'coffee' keyword.
So that is the question: how can I target a keyword?

Surely, in this enormous internet, there is an ad company that will do this? Surely not everyone copies google obsessively?

Kevin

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With most softwares including browsers there is certain access websites can use and certain access they cannot such as your saved passwords, History etc... Almost every single website on the web uses your browsers cache to load pages quicker once you have already visited the website. That is completely legal and where google picked up the logic of displaying ad's based on your browsers cache/cookies. Also when you use google adsense you are adding javascript directly to your websites template. So even though google adsense is not connected to your website the code is being worked by your website and just inputting dynamic data from google. Not an exploit of any kind, Just good programmers ;)

Umm.. NO.

The browser itself manages it's own cache to prevent re-requesting the same image from the same domain, but it does NOT give access to any script or website to 'go fishing' in the contents of historical caches of other domains. You've seriously misunderstood how a cache works.

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
PULEEAZE people, start a new thread on cache's and stuff, but for this thread I just want to stay on one topic: how can I get a contextual ad, to display just for coffee?

I use only Adsense right now; I would be perfectly happy if it was not adsense. Please help me.

Who has contextual ads that will be fully targetable by keyword? Maybe you would call this "Semi-Contextual". For example, if I had a site that was about coffee grinders, it would be great if the ad system said "ok, this is about coffee". It would not have to be ads just about coffee grinders; it could be coffee creamers, or coffee brewers. Coffee Pods, Coffee tshirts even but I want ads about Coffee. I would not want ads from Sears about Grinder Tools tho. The page/blog entry will have lots of references to coffee, so the targetting should be doable automatically - but I dont mind typing a specific keyword when setting up the ad, to define the overall market area.

How can I have ads that are just about Coffee. Tell me someone?

Thanks all for the comments.

The main intent of the thread, is to find out how to get ad's targeted; I think I need to find an alternative to adsense.

Can someone help me with that - if I have a coffee blog, I want coffee ads - even if godaddy is bidding more for the 'coffee' keyword.
So that is the question: how can I target a keyword?

Surely, in this enormous internet, there is an ad company that will do this? Surely not everyone copies google obsessively?

Kevin

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Kevin, here: http://support.google.com/adsense/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=142293&topic=23402&ctx=topic

The key part:
However, you cannot opt out of showing ads to users based on their previous interactions with the advertiser, such as visits to an advertiser's website

For contextual ads only relating to coffee, you might have to roll a database of cj / shareasale ads. CJ does have a contextual ad type now, but I haven;t found it to be terribly accurate.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Thanks, Tia.

some other ad?

adsense will try to display the best paying ad for you automatically, or an advertiser might be paying by CPM , or using a placement bid for space on your page rather than CPC. Check in your performance reports under bid types & targeting types to get an idea.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom