Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

AdWords Disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Adwords Disaster

I was using AdWords for many years. The operation seemed to be smooth till it hit a snag.

I had a relatively small daily ad spending limit at around $50. Suddenly in May of '08 Google started charging me literally thousands of dollars. It appears that Google unilaterally changed my daily limits to $13,500.
For clicks that I previously paid $0.15 to $0.60 they started charging me up to $10.
Google managed to completely deplete my credit. My attempts to rectify the situation go nowhere.
Any suggetions on how to proceed?:veryangry:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
How was the daily limit changed to $13,500 from $50 ? Do they have a record of you requesting such a change?

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If Google has the record it doesn't show it

Adapt Web

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I once accidently changed my max bid per click from .10 to 1.00 and ran up a $2000 overage.. they knocked like $200 off the balance when i said it was an error, but i still had to pay the balance... at that point i had spent nearly 50-60k with them, that left me with a bad taste with Adwords..

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They changed your daily limits to $13,500. How much do they say you owe them?

CyrusL

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They didn't set the daily spending limit, you did.

And the result of your increased cost-per-click is because of the poor quality score on your landing page.

zangief

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Contact them and tell them what happened and if they don't help(this is the next step don't start with this) then tell them politely that you'll raise an antimarketing campaign against adwords cause this had left a bad taste in your mouth.

adwordssucks.com had been taken(not by me :) ).

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you funded your account with a credit card, and in the last 30 days. If so, consult with your credit card issuer about filing a chargeback (winning would be slim, but it's a start).

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It's a business card with a $xx,xxx credit limit

CyrusL

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Contact them and tell them what happened and if they don't help(this is the next step don't start with this) then tell them politely that you'll raise an antimarketing campaign against adwords cause this had left a bad taste in your mouth.

adwordssucks.com had been taken(not by me :) ).

This is the worst idea in the world. Google will forward all contact to their legal team and cutoff any communication with you. They don't respond well to threats and your money is gone.

Google changed both limits itself

This is a lie and everyone that has used AdWords knows it. I spend mid $x,xxx per day with Google across multiple accounts and this has never happened. It has never happened either to the literally thousands of other advertisers I talk with. Google has a lot more money than to care about $xx,xxx or risk their reputation on trying to play with your account.

I would give you some advice on how to get credit for the charges from G but it's pointless if you're going to lie about what went down.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It appears that Google unilaterally changed my daily limits to $13,500.

I am finding it very difficult to believe (other than a rare computer bug which I am sure they would admit to if known) that Google would arbitrarily do such a thing. Are you sure you did not somehow do it in error?

Interesting how you say "it appears" - which sounds like you are not really positive about it, right?

P.S. You must owe a ton of money? It would wipe out my CC in a day. Another oddity is my CC firm would call to verify such a big charge as they are suspect with large online orders. They have called me to confirm a fraction of that amount. Did they call you?

Last edited:

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I once accidently changed my max bid per click from .10 to 1.00 and ran up a $2000 overage.. they knocked like $200 off the balance when i said it was an error, but i still had to pay the balance... at that point i had spent nearly 50-60k with them, that left me with a bad taste with Adwords..

Why would that leave you 'with a bad taste with Adwords'? It was your mistake - you're lucky they knocked anything off!

I am finding it very difficult to believe (other than a rare computer bug which I am sure they would admit to if known) that Google would arbitrarily do such a thing. Are you sure you did not somehow do it in error?

Interesting how you say "it appears" - which sounds like you are not really positive about it, right?

P.S. You must owe a ton of money? It would wipe out my CC in a day. Another oddity is my CC firm would call to verify such a big charge as they are suspect with large online orders. They have called me to confirm a fraction of that amount. Did they call you?

Ditto.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had a similar story with Yahoo, and they agreed to refund me. If you don't contact them, then don't expect any response.

I have had reasonable success with Google support.

Varchar

ArcadeScript.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's strange, google stops my ads as soon as it hits a $500 bill. They usually will not re-activate the ads unless I paid the bill in full first. I do have credit card on file but just that my card always blocks the transaction until it has been manually verified. I cannot see how you can end up with such big invoice...

Kawing

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Letter to BBB
AdWords Disaster

I was using AdWords for many years. The operation seemed to be smooth till it hit a snag. I had a relatively small daily ad spending limit at around $100. Suddenly in May of '08 Google started charging me literally hundreds of dollars. It appears that Google unilaterally changed my daily limits to $13,000.
For clicks that I previously paid $0.15 to $0.80 they started charging me up to $10. Google managed to completely deplete my credit. My attempts to rectify the
situation go nowhere.

It's also possible that my account got hacked. Both daily limits and spending limits were drastically changed upward.

The following Ad Words projects were added to my account:

Cash Loan
Get Cash Loan up to $1500.
Apply online - cash in 1 hour.
loan.howaboutpostal.com

with a daily budget [ $5,389.25 / day ]
and

{KeyWord:Cash Loan}
No fax cash loans up to $1500.
Apply Now & Get Cash in 1 Hour.
cashloan.chapicentro.com
with a daily budget [ $6,899.10 / day ]

My numerous requests to rectify the problem went nowhere. Google hasn't responded to my emails.
My account currently is inactive.
Your assistance in addressing this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Nodnarb

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Letter to BBB

You do realize that the BBB is mostly a sham? They are interested in selling BBB memberships to businesses first, and helping consumers second. They're really just an advertisement venue for business, rather than a real consumer help group. I don't think you can expect much, if anything as a result of your letter to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom