Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Anti-WLS petition - Sign here !

Status
Not open for further replies.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domain summit 2024

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can see where the WLS will raise costs on tier 2 and tier 3 names, but can anyone tell me why it wouldn't help me have a better chance on tier 1 (the best) names? I find that the likes of BuyDomains, Ultsearch etc. continually beat me on my most wanted names whether I have basically covered most other channels including Snaps, Namewinner, 1 click services and the other services offered by my respected fellow members of this forum. In that case, why would the WLS NOT be a good thing from my perspective.

One more question. I understand that as proposed, a WLS subscription would allow the transfer to a different name several times per year. Is that correct.

I've read all the PDF links, would anyone care to comment on the points above?

MarkMitford

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nothing will change Stocdoctor, the big players will do deals with registrars for exclusive use of the feed to the WLS system and the second it goes live they will bombard it with requests for the best names. They will also be able to afford the high WLS registry fees to keep "snaps" on all the best names continuously.

The main difference for the smallers players is that if WLS ever goes live they will know they will never get the good names, instead of the current situation where there is a thriving competitive market for name drops at the registrar level where you still have a small chance to beat the big players, and have choices of where to go to get the tier 2 or 3 names.

My yardstick when considering if the Verisign registry should run a particular function is to say "is this a necessary technical function that cannot be served by the free market", a central database of names and a central zone file to prevent duplication is necessary, a block on releasing expired names isn't.

Mark......

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators