Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Anyone ever wonder why

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
no real good names ever actually drop anymore? (names like virus.com, press.com, etc)

The answer is real simple:

There is fraud taking place at networksolutions.

RacerX, as many others here surely concur, have noticed on your snapback reservations, NSI is nefariously changing some registrant records to 'null' or 'no valid city no valid state' in the registrant address record, and then coupling this activity with paying up the domain name. This is an obvious trick. RacerX recommends DO NOT REMOVE YOUR SNAPBACK because if you do, the unsavory entity (or the very same thief that has stolen names mentioned in dnforum) then places a snapback on the name. Check the names you have lifted snapbacks on if you thought the name was paid up and if there was a 'null' placement in the registrant address change. You might be surprised as what these scoundrels out there are doing...

Verisign, Network Solutions is wrought with fraud...

Domain summit 2024

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Racer, do you reckon it's one or two individuals inside NSI doing this without their bosses knowing?

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
has been going on for three years minimum according to my best estimate.

If you think about it, it would be real easy to have a 'mole' (no implications to any dnforum members) that just performs all-electronic oriented transfers. There would be no 'paper trail'.

The evidence is overwhelming this is what is taking place. How else can one make an electronic change to a domain whereby the clearly stolen domains (first residing at NSI, mysteriously transfer to dotregistrar, are then wholesale returned to NSI) are then first re-identified as having the totally bogus misspelled admin contact of: novaildemail@verisign.com, and then 'they' execute an electronic registrant transfer to an even more nebulous free email account such as hotmail or bluemail.ch? (examples lust.com, url.com, lotto.com etc.)

Sorry, this is a network of an inside job contact, that has been going on for years. It has to stop and justice must prevail...

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
racerx is correct in stating that it could be an inside job, but i have seen no evidence that guarantees it to be an inside job.

the changes that you observe, such as the admin email being changed, etc, could very easily be done remotely via faxing in paperwork.

it seems to me that NSI and the thief are having some sort of little battle, whereby NSI got all (or most) of the stolen names returned to NSI, but the thief then started a campaign of restealing the names.

DomainSage

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Why doesn't someone CALL UP NSI and see what's going on. Show them you have evidence and we'll get your back by submitting more evidence if needed and start calling. But one of you who think can make a good call should call them up (not e-mail) and set them straight.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As said previously, i called up NSI several times within the last couple of days for some of these names - some executive told me those names would get released to the public again if they dont manage to get true whois info - for what it's worth.
Plus i have filed several complaints at Internic.
But my complaints were only about the fake whois, not about fraud ( although i believe it IS fraud) so dunno if it's gonna change anything.

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomainSage
Why doesn't someone CALL UP NSI and see what's going on. Show them you have evidence and we'll get your back by submitting more evidence if needed and start calling. But one of you who think can make a good call should call them up (not e-mail) and set them straight.

You obvously have never REALLY tried to deal with NSI!!! Call them up and just settle the matter--LOL!!

There has been a lot done in the realm of formal complaining, but much more must be done to get the job done...

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by draqon
racerx is correct in stating that it could be an inside job, but i have seen no evidence that guarantees it to be an inside job.

the changes that you observe, such as the admin email being changed, etc, could very easily be done remotely via faxing in paperwork.

These are electronic changes as confirmed by NSI. No paperwork at all.

maxheadroom

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I know 2 years ago, I watched and waited for a domain that had expired for over a year earlier. I called NsI half a dozen times, but they always said, "we can't tell you, it'll drop on it's own."

Never did. Then, I contacted someone on the net who claimed to know about these things. 30 day later the domain had new whois info (with the still expired date) then a little while later it had a NEW expire date, but one that did not coinside with it's original date, but also did not coincide with the current time. For example the domain "expired" in Dec 1999. It was March 2001 that I told this other person about it. After about a month, it now had new info, but still the Dec. 1999 date, and then later it now had an AUG expire date, but it was still only June at the time. So it would be impossible for the name to have dropped and been re-registered.

In fact the reason I'm here is that I just found another domain I want, expired Dec 2001. Still not dropped. But it contains whois info that I know is not what it was previously. It was not originally parked, then it was parked at GD, and now it's parked someplace else at a for sale page.

I don't go "looking" for these situations, but just in my normal quest for names, it seems I run by such situation more than I expect. This is clearly hoarding expired domains.

flatt

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have tracking one of these names for quite a while and bought a snap on it. When the name was about to expire the owner likely paid it's bill. Nothing out of the ordinary there. I removed my snap and thought nothing of it. (By the way, the name resolves but the servers serves nothing but an empty directory listing and has been that way for as long as I have known)

A couple months later I did a whois on the same name while just going through my routine and like what is mentioned in this thread the Registrant City/State/Zip/Email fields have been replaced with "null." I immediately put a snapback on it knowing about the correct info rules. It has been that way for a few weeks now and I'm waiting to see what happens. I don't advocate 'stealing' names and even feel a little ashamed for putting a snap on it but I'm really confused now :confused: . But I know I would personally be ashamed to own such a nice name and not be using it.

It could be an inside job like people are mentioning but even with sabotage all the registrant would have to do is call up Verisign and complain. I'm split.

If anyone gets more info on these names, I would love to hear about it.

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by flatt
I have tracking one of these names for quite a while and bought a snap on it. When the name was about to expire the owner likely paid it's bill. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

A couple months later I did a whois on the same name while just going through my routine and like what is mentioned in this thread the Registrant City/State/Zip/Email fields have been replaced with "null." I immediately put a snapback on it knowing about the correct info rules. It has been that way for a few weeks now and I'm waiting to see what happens. I don't advocate 'stealing' names and even feel a little ashamed for putting a snap on it but I'm really confused now :confused: . But I know I would personally be ashamed to own such a nice name and not be using it.

It could be an inside job like people are mentioning but even with sabotage all the registrant would have to do is call up Verisign and complain. I'm split.

If anyone gets more info on these names, I would love to hear about it.

Actually that is very 'out of the ordinary'. Ask yourselves people: How many of you, as the registrant, would change perfectly good contact information to 'null' in the registrant address information--The answer is: none of you would. The 'entity' that is doing this is the thief or NSI, or both. This 'null' crap is only being done on sought-after names that are going to expire. Also, don't think for a second that the true registrant paid this name up. That is not what is happening. Why would a registrant change his contact information to 'null' and then pay it up. Think people. There is fraud going on at NSI bigtime, both in stealing names and credit card fraud...

thinkaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Reading all this just increases the size of my middle finger I have pointing at NetSol.

I'll never reg a name from them and never support them. I won't even get an SSL Cert from Verisign. I'll go with Thawte any day.

They'll never admit to internal fraud, even though we all know it's happening. They'll have to be caught and then what will happen? Nothing. Maybe a few people will be fired, but that will just open the doors to other employees doing it, too.

I just have one thing to say....F*CK YOU NetSol...

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by fizz
Racer, do you reckon it's one or two individuals inside NSI doing this without their bosses knowing?

Did ya ever think that "Snap,Crack,and Drop" could be successful, if registering names after expiration dates were timely.
In order for them to do business, the names have to be held-up!
It's all a big circle,and some are caught-up in it.
Like I was looking at a drop list and saw "Bondable.com",who
would of thought.I'm sure somewhere it was on somebody's
Snap,Drop or Crack list. So, I just picked it up!

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I got a snap on a name that expired a long time ago and the other day some of the contact info changed to "null"..I was hoping that was a good thing, I guess its not :(

Ohwell, I guess I'll see what happens.

RMF

S

smirkley

It seems that maybe one of the legal guru's in the discussion category for trademarks and legal info at this site, ought to have some insight as to things like this.

Surely they would have exposure to this, even if non trademarked. And maybe some suggestions.

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It makes sense, doesn't it.....
Why would you drop a domain like virus.com in the same way as qwrtq3245.org, when you know you could make a "little" more by manipulating the system.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You dudes still don't get it!

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what happened with virus.com. I didn't follow it. Im fairly sure it use to be owned by someone in Victoria BC, but now someone in Penticton BC owns it. This guy might have bought it when the old virus.com shutdown. One thing I do know is that this guy that has virus.com now, has a lot of great names.

RMF

flatt

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually that is very 'out of the ordinary'. Ask yourselves people: How many of you, as the registrant, would change perfectly good contact information to 'null' in the registrant address information--The answer is: none of you would. The 'entity' that is doing this is the thief or NSI, or both. This 'null' crap is only being done on sought-after names that are going to expire. Also, don't think for a second that the true registrant paid this name up. That is not what is happening. Why would a registrant change his contact information to 'null' and then pay it up. Think people. There is fraud going on at NSI bigtime, both in stealing names and credit card fraud...

Well, that's not what I was saying. The name looked normal before the "owner" renewed the name. It was only later did the 'null' thing show up.

And yes, I understand there is no reason for a person to change contact info to 'null.' null meaning 'nothing' for a database record standpoint simply screams DELETE ME.

Still when this name was renewed, I sent a letter to the owners asking if they'd be willing to sell it, to which I never even got a response. So it is perfectly likely they never cared about the name.

I'm really interested now, I want that name! There is something fishy going on. I won't blame netsol yet but...

DomainSage

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
So who made the phone call and make accusations of FRAUD? I'll love to hear what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators