Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Appraisals are they really worth anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markmiddleton

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or do most appraisals, certainly automated ones, not take into account end users very well?

Let me elaborate a bit.

Transposed keywords in automated processes seem to fool many of them. Many people and indeed all automated processes don’t seem to place any additional value on a name which has an increased potential for business application, over a name which has the same amount of monthly searches/letters/extension etc. The different industries and thus potential value to end users, don’t seem to be taken into account in appraisals; for instance, I’ve often seen strong financial names, being valued along the same guidelines as for instance gardening or hobby names, which to an end user can’t logically translate into the same value. Also sales in the same market area, i.e trends, don't seem to be taken into account either.

I know its all subjective, which brings me to the point finally. Do professional appraisals take account of these factors or does the business application, the industry of choice, transposed words and recent sales really not matter? If they do, how can a professional appraisal ever be anything but subjective. To be honest, I was going to buy an appraisal or two to help me gauge value in my ongoing quest for a 'mean' value; however I see no point in any 'exact' value they might offer, as with it being subjective, no doubt the various services wouldn’t be able to agree on that either and thus all it gives me is one more opinion, albeit a professional and valued one.

This is a question, not a vent, its still been a long while since I was active in this industry and appreciate any help. Especially in regards to finding out value, I have been posting names to many forums to try and give me an understanding but unfortunately all I have received is a huge range of mixed messages :).

What I could really do with is a good ebook or two with some reasoning behind valuations. PM if you know one please ;)

Thanks for reading,

Domain summit 2024
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators