Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Best Domain Registrar?

(_Y_)Man

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
looking to get back in business and have recently gotten a few domains robbed from me over at moniker

thanks in advance

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Uniregistry, Name.com, eNom, Fabulous. Heck, even GoDaddy.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I used to use Dynadot for all of my domains now I am transferring all of my domains to Godaddy. Why?

1) I can get $1, $2 or $3 transfer codes for Godaddy

2) I signed up for the DDC with a promo code for $58/year and have $8 renewals

3) They aren't going to go under any time soon

4) Most of the end users that I sell to already use Godaddy

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yeah, but more domains are reportedly stolen from godaddy than any other registrar

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yeah, but more domains are reportedly stolen from godaddy than any other registrar

Yes, but they also have two factor authorization. If enabled it will send a text to your phone each time you login with a code that has to be entered before you can gain access to the account.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, but they also have two factor authorization. If enabled it will send a text to your phone each time you login with a code that has to be entered before you can gain access to the account.

yeah, but - :)

because a "two factor authorization" is needed and has to be 'enabled', further illustrates the risk potential with their platform security....in comparison to other registrars where thefts are rarely reported.

additionally, in my experience, end-users have never had an issue with buying a domain because it wasn't registered at gd.

finally, my fee, $8.50 @ enom, plus active sub-accounts.

imo....

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree, all registrars have pros and cons, I used dynadot for years. Another thing I like about Godaddy are their premium listings, I typically sell around 6-8 domains on premium listings per month. If Godaddy didn't have the premium listing feature as well as the .99-$3 transfer codes I would probably just stay at Dynadot.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thumb down for Enom.
Personally I like Dynadot but I realize nobody's perfect.
I use Fabulous too.

I used to use Dynadot for all of my domains now I am transferring all of my domains to Godaddy. Why?
1) I can get $1, $2 or $3 transfer codes for Godaddy
Unfortunately their interface is cluttered and there is too much cross-sell. Time is money....

2) I signed up for the DDC with a promo code for $58/year and have $8 renewals
Personally I would rather pay an extra $1 per domain for peace of mind, especially when it qualifies as a business expense. Price is not the only factor.

3) They aren't going to go under any time soon
But they carry a huge debt. They are not profitable.

4) Most of the end users that I sell to already use Godaddy
Because they don't know any better :) A transfer can be nearly as fast as a push, if you know what you're doing. Nodaddy also has that annoying 60-day lockdown, that can actually make transfers more difficult than at anywhere else.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Katherine,

Thanks for the response but I wouldn't argue security when using dynadot...I've used them since 2005 and they just recently within the past few years added the "account lock" which is your birthday and can be found on any public record. ;)

asg11us

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I use Go Daddy. I know a lot of folks aren't crazy about them, but their domain management is pretty intuitive and easy to use. If you've got a large quantity of names, their bulk pricing is competitive and it's nice having a dedicated support person to help you manage your portfolio.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@Rockefeller: this is a good point indeed, I might drop a note to my account manager about this

mkellerman

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It depends on your needs. I use both Dynadot and Fabulous, because they have good pricing and also both have APIs, which I can use to automatically keep track of my domains, set the DNS and track my parking stats. Godaddy charge you to use their API.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LOVE enom.

Katherine, what is your issue with them?

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom