Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

BuyDomains - anyone bought from them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
wondering if anyone has transacted with BuyDomains. prices are really high so i've never pulled it off.

thanks!

Domain summit 2024

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not me!
And Yes prices are very high.

NexSite

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I sent an inquiry the other day for a name. I received a phone call and subsequent email from a senoir sales associate. The price for this name was actually reasonable, less than I thought, but more than I would pay. During our conversation, I asked the gentleman if BD ever does "buy domains". I was astonished when he told me no, not really. He stated to me, and I swear to this, that buydomains only owns about 200 names, that all the rest are clients names. I said excuse me, but I watch the drop game rather closely, and I saw that you recently acquired every.com for $10,000 on drop day. Yes, we grab names for clients he said. Since I was driving, and truly baffled because this is not what I perceived about BD, I told him I would look at the quote for the name I asked and get back about it. Now is it me, or is somebody pulling off a huge deception? The name I was looking into is supposedsly being sold by a client. Does BD catch drops and register names on behalf of clients? Is this there business model as the gentleman stated? He said most of the 200 names they actually own are domain related. After all this time I thought they owned all those great names, and Im not convinced that they dont own most of them. Thoughts?

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Obviously a misunderstanding or error.

I am sure they do own 200,000 names of their own. I think selling on behalf of clients would be a very small part of their business.

Ask Duke, he would know better than most anyone what with his recent interview.

TexasFilly

RBS consultant
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have never "transacted" with BD, however I have inquired (using their inquiry form) about their asking price for a certain name in their listing, and have never rec'd a reply back from them.. that's been over 30days.

But, I do get their newsletter. The most recent letter, indicated that the following names are current "sold" names. One might want too check the "who is".. inquire with a few of the new "name holders" about their experience with BD??

Recently Sold Premium Names

Toronto.net
PriceComparison.com
MortgageConnect.com
ResortGuide.com
ArtView.com
BabyConnection.com
CashPro.com
WorldReading.org
ELifeInsurance.com
Interest-Rates.com
Ensemble.net
CreditClear.com
CapeCodRealty.com
ExpansionCapital.com
ICommerce.net
SleepZone.com
AnimalAttraction.com
InteractiveResponse.com
JustComics.com
LoanCorp.com
MensRights.com
EBargains.com
RealPsychology.com
CommunityNet.org
SnowFun.com
StandardLegal.com
GlobalIntelligence.com
DistanceEducation.com

NexSite

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames
Obviously a misunderstanding or error.

I am sure they do own 200,000 names of their own. I think selling on behalf of clients would be a very small part of their business.

Ask Duke, he would know better than most anyone what with his recent interview.

No, no misunderstanding. I asked if they buy domains. His anser was no, they only own about 200. Of course there are two scenerios that could be present here. He doesn't have a clue about the company he works for, or they wish to midlead potential buyers/ sellers. Perhaps that is there standard answer for my question, sensing that I may be about to offer them a name ?

Jernet

Old DNF'ef
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I bought from them. Very professional. Yes some prices are high, but I've seen that pretty well everywhere else also.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I almost bought a domain from them last year. I requested a price for a domain they caught about a week after they picked it up. The price was around $2500, can't remember the exact price. Anyways, I waited about 3 days or so, then found out they sold it for half the price to someone else. I couldn't believe it.

RMF

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Have bought quite a few over the last two years.

1. One can find some reasonably good prices on some names if one looks hard enough.

2. A very short spell ago, while I was still a "newbie" here, I was lambasted by someone when I opined that BD and its registrars (DomainZoo, etc.) may have some kind of profit-sharing or -splitting arrangement. (I had forgot to mention that in a number of cases--when I had bought a name from BD--I had to transfer the name from another registrar--such as DomainZoo!--to get the name into my BD account! Maybe I should have mentioned this back then but I was saving it for now!) Could these be the clients that NexSite was talking about?

3. The process is fairly mechanical and extremely efficient:

A. You can either "request price" or "buy now."

1) A request gets you an automated email within 24 hours listing price and dribble about how prices are rising every day, blah, blah, blah.

a) If you do not purchase, you will receive another automated email about 7-10 days later announcing a reduction in price! And, oh, yes! IT WAS THE "CLIENT'S" DECISION!

2). A buy usually gets the name into your control within a few hours--sometimes within an hour!

Its all well thought out and perfectly designed for domain name transactions! (The site itself could look a little more "modern" high-tech but maybe that's not important to them right now! Every penny must be going into buying, renewing, marketing, etc.)

If I can be of any further assistance, just post.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They always make a second offer if you don't reply to their first offer. The second one is much lower than then first one.
So you just have to make an offer and wait for a week or so...
Or make a counter offer yourself!

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Quite correct dvdrip. Or make no offer of any kind, in other words do not respond, and you will shortly receive the "reduced" price email. But you do put yourself at risk of losing the name to someone else!

Footnote to my earlier post and directed to (?): We've all seen quite a few registrars leave snapnames for pool. And not one has left BD to go anywhere else. Think about it!

deepstar

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have purchased several from them. Some of their prices are high but the domains I purchased were steals.

They deal with several different registrars just make sure the name you want to buy from them is registered at totalnic as it takes half a year to transfer away from them.

Eric

NexSite

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm.. Im thinking about it. The question I have is this. If buydomains didnt actually "buy" every.com , or win it at namewinner for $10,000, then who actually owns it? Or was the salesman just being a salesman and using smoke and mirrors?

Deleted member 4749

Knowledge is Power
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Android
wondering if anyone has transacted with BuyDomains. prices are really high so i've never pulled it off.

thanks!

I bought 3 domains from them.
Good to deal with.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think BD is great, their inventory is awesome and they are very professional about how they sell names. Its a good end-user source of names, but can be pretty pricey if you go for many names at a time.

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Could it be possible that the "client" is actually individual registars and BD is just selling it for them?

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
BINGO!

Either that or a pool (pun unintended) of money from investors and/or the registrars and/or Mike Mann and/or his former partners (as per Duke's DNJournal piece) and/or his new partners (?). Deep, deep pockets whomever they are!

All of this speculation is giving me a headache.

DomainMiner.com

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Has anyone made a counteroffer and had them accept or counter back with something reasonable? And was it below 50% of the original price or around what? I think domainers said they got no reply, the price was raised, or the reply wasn't too nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators