Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Canadian trademark for a domain name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TECK

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm interested to trademark a domain name, under my company name. In other words, if my company name is ABC Inc. and my domain XYZ.com, I want to register a XYZ trademark operated by ABC Inc.

Do you guys recommend someone experienced with trademarked domains or you think is easy enough to do it myself? I think it is something like 275$ for the application. I know the correct information to be entered into Canadian database application... but I just don't like to have surprises and see my trademark delayed or refused because I missed some stupid condition (remember the EU trademarks fiasco).

Thanks for your help.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would recommend going beyond just a Canadian trademark. Look into requirements for international as well as Intellectual Property copyrights and laws. Especially if you will be conducting business outside CA.

You may want to start here:
http://www.wipo.int/madrid/en/

Madrid System for the International Registration of Marks

TECK

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DC, I want to start small.
Once my Canadian trademark is accepted, the international one will be a lot easier to setup.

Let me know if my logic is good.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The logic may be good.

But if the expense is not that much greater or the paperwork that much more intensive, and if all can be done with one process, then that may be worth the effort to look into it now.

Just a suggestion as I have not personally registered a TM for myself but had worked with many clients during my ad agency career on TM and copyright matters.

But I do not know of anyone who took the task on themselves. :smilewinkgrin:

TECK

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But I do not know of anyone who took the task on themselves.
I was expecting an answer like that. :)
So guys, what DNF member/company/law firm do you recommend... who will do all the paperwork for me?
I really don't want to mess with it... plus an expert will know exactly what button to push, in order to set properly my trademark.

Looking for advice related to Canadian, US and international trademark process.
Basically, I want to register a trademark in Canada, then US first. Since my company operates in Canada and US are the neighbors, the easiest possibility to get sued is from those 2 countries. Not that I expect any danger from it, the name is clean, even if it is a 4 letter dictionary word domain. :)

I simply want to avoid any surprises, before I go online with the domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom