Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Cancelling a domain

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

prasit

what do you mean buy cancel a domain name? you just don't do anything with it and let it expires, however you have to pay the reg fee.

cannot wait that long, just want to cancel it completely, bit complicated the reason!
I know you can do it with .co.uk's but cannot find anywhere that tells you how to do it for .com's

Different registrars have different methods for this, and many will not even do it since the registry frowns on DELETEing a domain before it expires.

-t

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The easiest way to get rid of a domain is to give it away. I'm sure if you post the name, someone hear would want it..heck, you might even get lucky and someone might actually pay for it.

RMF

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
What Registrar is the domain with? Do they have phone support or email that you can ask?

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dazcuk
cannot wait that long, just want to cancel it completely, bit complicated the reason!
I know you can do it with .co.uk's but cannot find anywhere that tells you how to do it for .com's

I think it can be done, but would probably require special service to get it deleted.

I guess you could change all the reg info to false or blank data in hopes ICAAN will find it and make the registrar delete it.

Sounds to me like maybe you regret for liability reasons registering it and don't want any association with the name for that reason? If this is the case, just make the DNS point to something non-existent and get all name data out of your name. Maybe the other party in this case would request the deletion and do the work for you.:D

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't know about other registrars, but NetSol does have the mechansim to cancel or delete a name registration. Although the actual deletion may take some 6 months or so to materialize, ironic enough.

If you do come across some "liability" situation, you may want to contact your registrar (whether they have an explicit domain cancellation procedure or not). Make sure you do it FORMALLY (by e-mail or even trackable courier/registered snail mail) and jot down the time-line of your request and their reply. This will be very useful when you are asked to prove against your "bad faith". Hope this helps.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Of course, if the problem is that you think some big company is going to come after you, you could just email them and say that you want to give it to them.

RMF

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dazcuk
anyone give me some advice on how to cancel a .com domain name?

Dazcuk: Just transfer the domain to 4domains.com.--They provide the cancellation service. Once you pay the transfer fees into 4domains.com (Can't be avoided) you can cancel the domain when you go into the 'manage a domain' function. Real Simple.

RacerX

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom