Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Cloaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinner666

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is it the same as 'Masking'?
Masking as I know it means redirecting to another site while the type-in url stays the same.

If they're the same, what effect does either have on SEO of the 'hidden' or 'directed to' site?

If I'm posting in the wrong area, please move the thread.
Thanks in advance.;)

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No vulcan bird of prey virus?

WebsiteTraders.Com

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
anyone knows the best coach to learn cloaking from? is fantomaster the best cloaking software out there?........if anyone does not wish to post it public you can PM me.

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
But if you forward masked domain a to domain b website, and the browser navigates the website even one page, doesn't the url address bar click to the www.domainb/something?

mannoo2005

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
in general, it's not blackhat technique.

It's done to:
1- shorten the URL address.
2- hide affiliate links, So customers will click it and don't expect it affiliate link.
3- tracking links (which link clicked)

The methods of doing it is much:
1- by html redirect.
2- PHP redirect
3- htaccess redirect
4- by scripts or software (more professional, more costs)

MuseHack

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
in general, it's not blackhat technique.

It's done to:
1- shorten the URL address.
2- hide affiliate links, So customers will click it and don't expect it affiliate link.
3- tracking links (which link clicked)

The methods of doing it is much:
1- by html redirect.
2- PHP redirect
3- htaccess redirect
4- by scripts or software (more professional, more costs)

Cloaking, as it is generally perceived, is a way to provide better looking links. For example, on a WordPress site, the GoCodes plugin allows a shorter, friendlier URL that can tell your visitor where the results of their click will take them, instead of some affiliate code. It also tracks clicks. Visitors are more likely to click through a nice link. G has not penalized my sites for using this. The same results can be achieved with other types of redirects, and I have never seen this referred to as masking.

There is also a definition for cloaking that is blackhat. This would be something like User Agent Cloaking or IP Cloaking by visitor. That definition is for something designed to cloak a site from search engine spiders, by presenting one page to your visitors and a different page to a search engine. This technique is never recommended, as it can cause more problems than it's worth and get a site deindexed. A better approach is always proper on-site search engine optimization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom