Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

,co.uk vs. .com in SE results in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacal1

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have three developed domains in .co.uk that are pure one-word generics of niche products. Each is hosted in the US. The sites have all original content and are updated frequently. They are all only a year old or so.

Each one is on one of the first if not the first page on Google.co.uk, but they are all buried in Google.com.

Therein lies my questions:

1. Am I being specifically devalued by G.com for my choice in TLD in places outside the UK, or is it a level playing ground but more about the fact that there is a ton more competition for SE ranking when all other geographies are mixed in?

2. Would I do better globally (or not) with a .com that adds a related word and makes them imperfect and less authoritative to the visitor?

I am leaning toward assuming that the latter part of question 1 is actually what is true, and therefore changing nothing and hoping I will move up globally.

Thanks!

Domonetise

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have three developed domains in .co.uk that are pure one-word generics of niche products. Each is hosted in the US. The sites have all original content and are updated frequently. They are all only a year old or so.

Each one is on one of the first if not the first page on Google.co.uk, but they are all buried in Google.com.

Therein lies my questions:

1. Am I being specifically devalued by G.com for my choice in TLD in places outside the UK, or is it a level playing ground but more about the fact that there is a ton more competition for SE ranking when all other geographies are mixed in?

2. Would I do better globally (or not) with a .com that adds a related word and makes them imperfect and less authoritative to the visitor?

I am leaning toward assuming that the latter part of question 1 is actually what is true, and therefore changing nothing and hoping I will move up globally.

Thanks!

If I understand your question right, then the latter part of Q1 IMO would be correct. Google.com "Vintage Magazine Adverts" for an example of a .co.uk at #2

jacal1

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's what I suspected - Thanks!

andrija

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.co.uk domain name will target searches in google.co.uk

If you have a .com .net .org .co .info, you can set what market you want to target, you can do this in Google Webmaster Tools.

But country specific domain names such as .co.uk are exclusively targeting that country.

This only complies to Google. For Bing and Yahoo puh never tough about it, still small share of traffic.

James-A

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Getting a country specific domain name extension surely makes a big difference in terms of securing a good web presence. If in case you re not able to get a country specific domain name extension, even a .com will be good for your website. If you are looking forward to create a presence in the US, you can consider having a .us domain name extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators