Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Computer/Prgramming Camp -- Read Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Im 14 years old, and im highly interested in learning more about computer languages and coding. Someone alerted me to a site that offered this.

Here is the info,

NCC CURRICULUM COURSE DESCRIPTIONS

The courses taught at NCC fall into 6 major categories.

1. Video Game Design

2. Digital Video Production

3. Web Page Design

4. Computer Languages

5. Software Applications

6. Preperation for the Network+ and A+ Hardware Certifications.

Course Descriptions Below:

Video Game Design
You have a truly amazing idea for a game, but do you know what to do with it? Transforming your idea into an actual game is a challenge. In this project oriented course, you become familiar with game design software. You learn the skills you need to turn your cool idea into a really cool game by mastering the techniques and elements that go into creating games such as action, adventure, arcade and role playing games. Two curricula are available: one for 8 to 11 year old and one for 12 to 18 year old campers.

Prerequisite: None. There is a $45 per week lab fee.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Digital Video Production
Would you like to be a film maker? Would you like to be a movie director? Campers have fun as they write and shoot their movies and then transfer their footage from the camera to the hard drive. With the aid of video software the images are manipulated: use the razor tool, add transitions and filters, superimpose graphic titles and add music. The final version of each project is recorded on CD for the campers to take home.

Prerequisite: None. There is a $45 per week lab fee.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Web Page Design
The HTML language is used to write web pages and is appropriate for campers of all ages. Once the camper completes his/her personal web page it is uploaded to the Internet. As the camper progresses through the curriculum he/she has the opportunity to also learn Photoshop and Flash. These software applications are used to enhance the graphics and animations of web pages. More advanced campers may also choose to integrate Javascript and Java applets into their web pages.

Topics covered include: Text Formatting, Images, Photo Editing, Sound, Hyperlinks, Backgrounds, Fonts, Lists, Tables, Frames, Meta Tags, Mail To, graphics, animation, and Cascade Style Sheets. The final project is the camper's personal web page uploaded to the Internet.

Prerequisite: None

Computer Languages
Basic
The Basic language provides an excellent foundation for the young programmer as it includes the important concepts that are common to all computer languages. The curriculum is devided into beginner and intermediate/advanced sections.

Topics covered in Beginner Basic include: variables, strings, loading and saving programs, Print, Input, Read Data, IF conditions, graphics, Locate, random numbers, For-Next loops, and animation. Campers write age appropriate programs such as: mad libs, adventures, animated graphics, crystal ball, trivia quizes, and more.

Topics covered in Intermediate/Advanced Basic include: Do loops, Gosub, string functions, advanced animation, Boolean operators, more random numbers, arrays, files, and sorting. Campers write game programs such as hangman, battleship, state capitals quiz, and other projects including a telephone book, and text processing.

Prerequisite: Beginner Basic

Java
The beginner to advanced Java curriculum consists of a sequence of lessons. Beginners start with lesson No. 1; others may start with the lesson compatible with their background. For example, campers who return for a second summer and who previously learned Java continue where they left off. This curriculum is an excellent preparation for the AP computer science test.

Topics covered in these lessons include: variables, strings, input, output, Boolean logic, loops, methods, overloading, objects, classes, constructors, assessors, mutators, references, arrays, sorting, searching, recursion, applets, labels, buttons, events, graphics, keylistener, and mouselistener. For a final project campers typically design and write a one or two player game of their choice. Examples of such games are: Tetris, Tron, Checkers and Connect Four.

Prerequisite: Basic or over 14 years old. Special circumstances allow for exceptions.

C++
The beginner to advanced C++ curriculum consists of a sequence of lessons. Topics covered in these lessons include: variables, input, output, IF-else and Boolean logic, string functions, loops, random numbers, functions, arrays, apvector class, sorting, searching, apmatrix class, structures, dynamic allocation, linked lists, recursion, abstraction, constructors and destructors, overloading, graphics. Campers write many programs that implement the various topics. As a culminating activity campers select among a list of advanced projects such as the games of Tetris, Tic-Tac-Toe, Checkers, Connect Four or Tron.

Prerequisite: Basic or over 14 years old. Special circumstances allow for exceptions.

Open-GL
This language is an extension of C++ in that it provides excellent graphics capabilities. Some Open-GL lessons require knowledge of Algebra and Trigonometry.

Topics covered include: Basic Drawing, Animation, Keyboard and Mouse Input, Bitmap Fonts, Recursion and Graphics, Two-Dimensional Drawing Projects.

Prerequisite: C++

Assembler
Assembly language is the closest to machine code (0's and 1's). Assembly programs run fast so programmers frequently embed Assembly in C++. This is especially useful for programming graphics. The Assembly curriculum includes: number systems and bases, registers, instructions, text display, and graphics. In addition, there are advanced lessons that demonstrate embedding Assembler in C++ programs.

Prerequisite: Basic

Javascript
JavaScript makes it possible to include interactive elements in web pages. Campers learn to add animated buttons, sound, scrolling text and pop-up windows to web pages. The campers also learn to swap images, link events, call functions, place cookies, open and close browser windows and create interactive forms.

As campers progress they learn to write programs to:

have a message pop up when a web page is loaded
have an image turn into an animated image when clicked
save a person's name and then greet him/her with that message every time the page is loaded
create a "self-destruct" button which closes the current window when clicked
display a message as the user is leaving the web page reminding him/her to visit again
create a form to get information from the person viewing the web page
Prerequisite: Beginner C++ or Java

Software Applications
Excel
The Excel curriculum consists of 7 lessons entitled: $1000 Shopping Spree, Olympic Medals, Average Your Grades, Miles Per Gallon, Money In The Bank, Multiplication Table, and The IF Statement.

These lessons are written in a light and lively style appropriate for all ages and cover all important Excel topics such as: cell formatting, relative and absolute cells, formulas, dragging, the IF statement, Sum and Average, clip art, graphs and charts, inserting hyperlinks, and most importantly the topic of "what-iffing".

Power Point
The Power Point curriculum consists of 5 slide shows that the campers create and save on their disks. These shows are entitled: Your First Slide Show, Backgrounds and Transitions, Make a Screen Saver, 3-D Animation, and The Bouncing Ball.

This curriculum exemplifies NCC's approach of 'Learning by Doing' as campers learn the important aspects of Power Point through fun slide shows.

Flash
Flash is a sophisticated software application. The curriculum is project oriented and focuses on those aspects of Flash that the campers will use in school projects and in their web design. The campers' final project creates a five page web site using Flash.

The topics covered in the projects include: drawing and painting images, symbols, layers, effects, animation, tweening, sound, frame actions, movies, animated buttons, embedding a movie in HTML.

Photoshop
With Photoshop campers can learn to do everything from creating Web graphics to tweaking photos to putting their head on the body of their favorite actor. As campers advance through the lessons they learn to crop and resize images, select tools and filters, merge graphics, format a file as a JPEG or GIF, and make illustrations.

In the end campers come to realize that the power of Photoshop is only limited by their own creativity.

Networking
This practical course demonstrates networking for the home. Campers learn about Ethernet cards, hubs, switches, routers and how to make networking cables. They connect several computers to create a network. Next they learn to configure Windows for a home network. In the process campers also learn about IP addresses, TCP/IP, and network properties. Once the network is in place, campers are able to share files and printers and , of course, play network games.

Educational Games
Campers may sample these games during the creative computing period. The list of games includes Robot Battle, The Sims, Cryptology Puzzles, The Incredible Machine, Oregon Trail, Amazon Trail, Roller Coaster Tycoon, and SuperGoo.

The Robot Battle program is especially popular. Campers program a screen icon (their robot) to possess excellent offensive and defensive skills. Then at the end of the week campers submit their robot programs. The robots are all entered in the "war". After several battles the most skillfully programmed robot is declared the winner by the computer.

A+ and Network+ Certifications
A+ Hardware Certification Preparation
A+ is one of the most respected entry level IT certificates. The certification test consists of two parts: Hardware and Operating Systems. NCC offers preparation for the hardware test. The typical preparation time for each test is about 80 hours. Since NCC offers at most 24 hours of instruction per week, most campers will not be ready to take the nationally administered hardware test. After camp, campers may continue to prepare, for example, with the aid of on-line courses.

The topics covered are:

IRQ, DMA,and I/O addresses and procedures
Peripheral ports, cabling, and connectors
IDE/EIDE and SCSI devices
Installing devices and upgrading sysems
Diagnosing and Troubleshooting
Position and function of computer components
Adding and removing components
CPU chips, RAM, motherboards, and CMOS settings
Printers and basic networking
Sample tests
Prerequisite: Must be at least 12 years old. There is a $45 per week lab fee.

Network+ Certification Preparation
The technology community identifies Network+ as the perfect entry point into a networking career. NCC offers preparation for the certification test. The typical preparation time for the test is about 60 hours. Since NCC offers at most 24 hours of instruction per week, most campers will not be ready to take the nationally administered test. After camp, campers may continue to prepare, for example, with the aid of on-line courses.

The topics covered are:

Networking Standards
Transmission Basics and Networking Media
Networking Hardware
WANS and Remote Connectivity
Diagnosing and Troubleshooting
Network Operating Systems and Windows 2000 Based Networking
Networking with TCP/IP and the Internet
Maintaining and Upgrading a Network
Network Security
Sample tests
Prerequisite: Must be at least 12 years old. There is a $45 per week lab fee.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to learn langages for websites and make REAL designs. What course should I take?

Also here are the costs: Residential Camp: $855.00 per week Sunday 1pm to friday 2pm.

$200.00 per weekend between sucessive camp weeks.

Day Camp $725.00 per week. - Sunday 1pm to Friday 2pm.

Includes Dilay Lunch and Dinner.

Please help me figure out what to take and if computer languages (whitch ill probably take) What course should I take? The camps are all one week long on different languages. There is

Basic, C++, Java, Assembler, HTML, XML, OpenGL, and Javascript.

Thanks!

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You should take a course in truthfulness or error-checking:-

Duncan said:
Im 14 years old, and im highly interested in learning more about computer languages and coding.

from profile said:
Birthday:
October 11, 1980

Please explain!

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Changing now, LOL, I always put that date in by accident on everything I do! Because I use to play 13 year or older games when I was 12, switching now LMAO =p

EDIT: Happy?

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are good reasons why we require minors to identify themselves as such here at DNForum - warning point issued.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks,

Can you be a nice moderator and help me to whitch course I should take?

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duncan said:
Thanks,

Can you be a nice moderator and help me to whitch course I should take?

4. Computer Languages

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And should I take Basic? Or the java,c++ stuff?

I know how to modify php codes and things like that, I don't know how to write my own script lmoa.

Thanks in advance.

Vivvy

Wild And Crazy Grrl
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to be critical, because obviously you're looking for help, but you're signature says "Need hosting? Privet message me!" ... Private is misspelled... which would be just the first problem with hosting a site with a minor.. but I won't go there...

as for the courses you list above... the only ones that look like they might be worth the time are the the a+ and network certs and the computer languages... but the rest might be fun just to do .... especially if mom and dad are picking up the tab...

Vivvy

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you know basic and can put together your own website start to get to grips with the other stuff.

jojoyohan

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A cople of summers ago my friend took a course somewhere on dreamweaver. Turns out they just used the included tutorials so my friend basically ran the whole thing because no one else knew anything. I think he spent a couple of hundred dollars on it which is th ereal shame. I'd look at a few books because I personaly enjoy learning for my self.

Vivvy

Wild And Crazy Grrl
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's a really good point jo... more often than not these things end up being either too basic or a rip off altogether...

Vivvy

stevey

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if it were me i would save my money and buy some good books and learn it or use a online site to learn. why pay for something when you can get it for free :) i use http://www.w3schools.com website and have brought a few books to learn php

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom