Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Directory vs. Classifieds

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of adding a directory with one of my sites (a lot of inquiries, and a good amount of traffic) for people to post paid advertisements.

I have an old license of phpMyDirectory I could renew for $30 - are there other suggestions? I'd like customizeable fields so I can tailor it to my site.

Another question is there a big difference between a directory and classifieds (or are they essentially the same?). IMO a directory seems more involved while classifieds may be more like Twitter (short and to the point?).

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No Free Listing = No Traffic = No Business Listing

Remember people think the Internet was invented by Al Gore and it's FREE

Tell that to Adam Dicker and DNForum. :)

The issue is that I need a way to weed out crap and let serious people in there - maybe limited free listings? phpMyDirectory allowed free listings - when I had it up before I had a very basic profile for the free ones and a huge jump for even the lowest tier paid listing.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To weed out crap you need the same thing DNF needs, moderators.

Using paid software like that is likely to/has already been exploited to submit classifieds automatically.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know - that's the scary part but I didn't have an issue with the directory I had before (most likely because it wasn't popular).

I threw up a Wiki a few months back - it took a week to get infested with spam to the point I closed the wiki.

So, question #2 is are there any recommendations for a directory script?

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Best bet is go cheap by buying one and hiring a freelancer to tweak it where it can't be exploited like the original.

Second option is from the ground up.

Either way, you need to moderate what comes through to provide the quality content someone is looking for. JMO

jstewart

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have also been toying with the idea of starting a directory/classified's site.

The directory business is largely owned by a Google, and the classified's already have a big moat..ie. Craigslist, I've decided the ROI may not be worth it.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There's still a niche market for classifieds. Though Craigslist is well known, it's also well known to have junk and scams.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK, I just got a contact from this website which could have been solved if I had a directory (or classifieds - but I'm thinking directory). I'm going to ask for a finders fee but this has also made me push this up a notch or two. Any suggestions for SW? I'd like people to be able to include pictures (limited - based on subscription level).

jstewart

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
check keep.ca, if you like the setup I'll can assist.

Cheers
J

beingchinmay

Chinmay
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. Was a Good read. Looking for more information

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators