Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

DNS Forwarding / Parking

Status
Not open for further replies.

forona

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
does anyone know how i can setup something similar to Sedo or Godaddy's domain parking? I run a few web servers and I would like to setup my own 'parked' site, for instance park1.mydns.com and park2.mydns.com and anything set w/ those NSs would hit a certain page.

Obviously I don't want to have to set these domains up on the server as hosted accounts.. just want to modify the nameservers of the domains and have them go to the parked page.. Anyone know how best to set this up?

Rgds/Jason

IWA Meetup

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
forona said:
does anyone know how i can setup something similar to Sedo or Godaddy's domain parking? I run a few web servers and I would like to setup my own 'parked' site, for instance park1.mydns.com and park2.mydns.com and anything set w/ those NSs would hit a certain page.

Obviously I don't want to have to set these domains up on the server as hosted accounts.. just want to modify the nameservers of the domains and have them go to the parked page.. Anyone know how best to set this up?

Rgds/Jason

Set up the name servers with a wildcard zone (*) that will match any domain name. Configure A records in the zone to point to the IP address of an IP-based website. All domain names using those name servers will point to that website.

forona

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response! I'm still trying to figure it all out. Clearly DNS is not my greatest sill :)

If I set this up In WHM for example, would I setup under the domain's zone: park1 and park2, with an A record pointing to those namservers' IPs. Then the NS records would be domain.com. NS park1.domain.com

Then I just put an A record in for * pointing to the IP of the IP based account?

Now, if this is my main DNS' record, can I add all those and it be ok?

Thanks again for your help!

Rgds/Jason

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
forona said:
Thanks for your response! I'm still trying to figure it all out. Clearly DNS is not my greatest sill :)

If I set this up In WHM for example, would I setup under the domain's zone: park1 and park2, with an A record pointing to those namservers' IPs. Then the NS records would be domain.com. NS park1.domain.com

Then I just put an A record in for * pointing to the IP of the IP based account?

Now, if this is my main DNS' record, can I add all those and it be ok?

Thanks again for your help!

Rgds/Jason

I don't know what WHM is. You would enter the host names of your name servers as the name servers for each of your domain names. You would configure the A records in your wildcard zones on those name servers to the IP address of your website. No A record would point to the name server IP's (unless the name server and web server share an IP address).

If you don't want to run your own DNS servers, depending on which registrar you use you may be able to use the registrar's DNS servers the same way. I know eNom allows you to specify default DNS records for newly registered domain names. Each time you register a name, it will default to eNom's name servers and whatever DNS records you have configured as your defaults.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators