Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

DNS Updating

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jrhost

I have just changed hosting companies and have updated the dns servers with my registrar. When doing a whois the dns servers have been updated but my site is still showing up as the construction page as the ip of the original registrar/host. Should this happen? If the dns is updated shouldn't the site also show the new ip address?

The new host has sent me a welcome package with the ip information and I can access my site using the new ip address but not the .com.

Confused

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jrhost
I have just changed hosting companies and have updated the dns servers with my registrar. When doing a whois the dns servers have been updated but my site is still showing up as the construction page as the ip of the original registrar/host. Should this happen? If the dns is updated shouldn't the site also show the new ip address?

The new host has sent me a welcome package with the ip information and I can access my site using the new ip address but not the .com.

Confused

your isp probably still has the old ip in a cache. give it a day or two more

J

jrhost

Thanks kidkool. I'll wait for the complete changes. I guess I was being impatient.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The .com .net and .org needed 24 to 48 hours to propagate the new dns information globally. Unlike .info and .biz, only 12 hours to 24 and it is ready.

To check the update of dns, use the webquery tools (whois web) in www.needguide.com site.

tw.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It probably just hasn't propagated yet, as this can take from 2 to 72 hours. It may also be cached on your computer, so each time you open hit refresh to make sure.

There is a way to verify, by changing your DNS server in your TCP/IP setup on your computer to the same servers set up for your domain. If you do this and reboot, you will be using the same servers as the domain and should see almost instantly the changes before they propagate to the rest of the internet. If my own ISP hasn't propagated yet, I've also checked in anonymizer.com which is a web proxy. Sometimes their DNS updates quicker than my ISP's.

On the other hand, sometimes a script on the server control panel may fail and the DNS actually didn't change. You should quickly be able to use the whois from the same site if they have it to check fairly quickly on this (a couple hours at most).

J

jrhost

Thanks for all of your replies. It finally updated so apparently I was being impatient. However, I've learned a lot from your responses. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom