Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Do you realize the value of type-in website names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks again to member Whois-Search for posting his interesting free lists of unreg'd names. :)

As I mentioned earlier, recently reg'd a name found on his list which was a great investment for a $10 reg fee.

After putting up a simple 1 page website with a Counter I see it gets decent regular traffic, believed to be 100% type-ins. It is not listed on any search engines or link sites so it must be type-ins.

It makes you realize the great value of type-ins which is free traffic costing nothing and received with little effort other than hosting a small website.

This $10 name gets more unique traffic than probably 90% of the names mentioned here in this forum, including many of my own names and sites, even some well established ones ranked in the SE's.

Here is the counter traffic report -

Statistics Summary
Traffic - Date

0 July 16
4 17 (1st part-day webpage running)
47 18
21 19
29 20
17 21
17 22
29 23
23 24
32 25
28 26
21 27
25 28
19 29
37 30
22 31
32 Aug 1
28 2
22 3

All free type-in traffic, not great but very valuable, especially once I get a worthwhile high-markup product online.

Did you notice how consistent the traffic is. Do others here realize the value of type-in names? Sometimes I wonder if many members really do?

Domain summit 2024

very nice stats realnames, are you able to disclose the name? :D

as I side note it may be worth hooking up proper stats rather than using a counter as it likely your counter tracks impressions rather than unique ips.

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
>>Do others here realize the value of type-in names?>>

Uh, yes. :yes:

Realnames, you sound like you just got off the Greyhound bus in Grand Central Station...:D

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DnPowerful >>Do others here realize the value of type-in names?>> Uh, yes. :yes:
Realnames, you sound like you just got off the Greyhound bus in Grand Central Station...:D

Please don't ridicule my question as it is serious. It seems like some of the members here just got off the Greyhound Bus, though there are also zillions of very smart and knolwedgable ones here too.

Of course, I know you and the astute members here like Snoopy and many others know. I was referring to all the posts here by many others who seem to not understand this, not only newbies but some others too.

I see frequent replies to posts from a buyer stating they only want type-in names and the names posted in response are often made-up names which would never get any type-ins in a thousand yrs.

You must not be reading the posts much DNPowerful if you have not also seen the poor examples of type-ins by some here :confused: :D

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by snoopy very nice stats realnames, are you able to disclose the name? :D as I side note it may be worth hooking up proper stats rather than using a counter as it likely your counter tracks impressions rather than unique ips.

Good advice, a better counter would also filter out some of my own page visits, though they were not too many, except for the first online day during its development.

By the way, regarding your request for the URL. I really don't enjoy posting my names at dnforum much because it seems like there may be negatives to it sometimes.

For example, when I posted re my $10 type-in stats DNPowerful immidiately attacked me saying I just got off of the Bus for asking if others really know what type-ins are?

If I posted the name I was referring to (name edited out) it may come under attack as perhaps not being a true type-in name.

That may even be partially true as its somewhat questionable as to it being a real name or not, possibly even a made-up name but also could be a unique real name, depending on the traffic source and how they happened to type it in. It may be a grey area as to it being a real name or not .:confused:

Most of my other names qualify better and more clearly as so called real names than this one does.

P.S. I sent you private email with the name.

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Realnames, I was just poking fun at you. You've poured so much energy into this site and you seem to have been around a while now, it seems shocking to me you're just discovering the single most important part of the domain biz--type-ins.

And believe me, I'm painfully aware of how often useless names get posted in response to requests for type-in names. :)

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DnPowerful Realnames, I was just poking fun at you. You've poured so much energy into this site and you seem to have been around a while now, it seems shocking to me you're just discovering the single most important part of the domain biz--type-ins. And believe me, I'm painfully aware of how often useless names get posted in response to requests for type-in names. :)

I realize 'attack' was not the best word to use, at least you said it with a smiley face. See MattyP, these green icons do have a good usage here!

Safesys seems to have also questioned me not being aware of how tough it is or conversely not knowing of ways to make money on website traffic and looking for a magic solution, just like you now thinking I did not know much about type-in name value. With 300 active domains online I can assure you guys I know a little about these issues ;)

You guys are misunderstanding my posts here. I can assure you I am well aware of these issues and have been so for ages. Also, I usually only reg real type-in names and have done that for ages, frequently multi-word phrases and terms which I have been actively reg'ing since late 1999.

The reason sometimes I post as if I myself was surprised or seemingly questioning an issue is to start a conversation going and bring others into it with their opinion or feedback.

Plus, I must admit I always liked playing the Devils Advocate, which sometimes may seem like I am not informed on a subject myself. You may have noticed I sometimes even play the Devils Advocate with myself :razz: as I find it mentally stimulating, which is perhaps the main reason why some question me or 'attack.'

By sometimes making it sound like I am not positive myself about things it is more likely to bring some replies and education for others here, especially newbies, and ones who may not respond to someone who sounds like an expert or a know-it-all :)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMO, type-ins represent random poor quality traffic that just help to waste your bandwidth, nothing more nothing less.

WOM and SEs are the way to go for profitable conversions.

abrams1117

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
What would be the resale value of this mystery DN? Assuming it receives about 26 type-ins a day?
Appraisals?

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole IMO, type-ins represent random poor quality traffic that just help to waste your bandwidth, nothing more nothing less. WOM and SEs are the way to go for profitable conversions.

I am sure this is a joke Mole so I won't bother to reply to your very odd statement. Very funny :D

HELLO - is there anyone else out there regarding these issues?

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by abrams1117 What would be the resale value of this mystery DN? Assuming it receives about 26 type-ins a day? Appraisals?

Not sure who DN is. However, not much resale value if looking for affiliate or PPC income from it.

Good value if selling your own high-markup targeted product or services.

Plus, keep in mind traffic will likely increase as it gets listed in SE's and links, etc.

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames

I am sure this is a joke Mole so I won't bother to reply to your very odd statement. Very funny :D

HELLO - is there anyone else out there regarding these issues?

RealNames .. I think the issue of type-ins in such a no-brainer that most do not see the purpose of responding ... especially after a few previous threads have gone over the issue.

You can lead a horse to water ...but ...

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by aactive RealNames .. I think the issue of type-ins in such a no-brainer that most do not see the purpose of responding ... especially after a few previous threads have gone over the issue. You can lead a horse to water ...but ...

Well then was your post a joke?

Plus, it's not a no brainer. If it is, then why all the stupid non-type in names posted in reply to buyers wanting to buy real type-in names?

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No his post was not a joke..he was making the point that untargeted type-ins CAN be pointless...just "lookers" if you will..

does the name you picked up reflect a product or service?
are you going to be able to make any money with it? certainly not with PPC..

for $10 you cant go wrong though .those are fair numbers

are you going to share the url so we can see?

Good Luck...

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Realnames ...

I guess my point is .. there is plenty of information on this forum for those that are willing to work ... to understand "type-in" domains, their value and how to get them.

People will always post names to threads that have nothing to do with what the author is looking for... that's the nature of some .. who don't care or are too lazy to really read what the author is posting.

... it's not supposed to be easy!

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Joke or not, the story of type-ins is wearing thin and boring.

Type-ins is too often seen by people as RANDOM, CASUAL unique visitors who just type in the word they are looking for appended with .com

However, type-ins are often used for DIRECT ACCESS based on prior knowledge of a website. It doesn't matter if dnforum.com is a "type-in" name by definition one, I just bang home the name on the address bar in 2secs because I know what I want to access and type fast.

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole ... ya okay ...

.info and .biz is the saviour to the world!

Realnames ... now you know why people don't bother answering about type-ins.

Not worth the frigging effort...

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner No his post was not a joke..he was making the point that untargeted type-ins CAN be pointless...just "lookers" if you will.. does the name you picked up reflect a product or service? are you going to be able to make any money with it? certainly not with PPC.. for $10 you cant go wrong though .those are fair numbers. are you going to share the url so we can see? Good Luck...

Hi Bid, thanks for jumping in. Again, we agree 100%. This particular name I got for a reg fee does in fact get good type-in traffic but you are absolutely right, it is non-targeted. Just as Snoopy about that, who knows the name.

However, perhaps there is something in common the type-ins have with this unique name and a possible product like Posters for example I could offer the website visitors.

Not sure if I can identify the reason for the type-ins. With almost all my other names it's very easy to do. This one is an exception.

This name is in the minority as most all of my other names and websites are highly targeted, a zillion times more so than this name.

I never said this name had well targeted traffic, in fact I indicated the opposite saying perhaps it is not a real name, though the type-in traffic is definately real.

Once again, I agree fully with you and others that generally speaking only names with very well targeted traffic have much value if the traffic is on the low side, as this one. I don't know why you guys somehow seem to think I don't know these things, as I definately do. It must be the devils advocate way I sometimes word my posts. :laugh:

Originally posted by mole
IMO, type-ins represent random poor quality traffic that just help to waste your bandwidth, nothing more nothing less.

translation: "I do not have any domains with type in traffic"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators