Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Domain availability API ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This might be a niave question, but is there some way to bulk check the availabilty of domains by API, without shelling out cash?

I am building a tool, and I want it to be able to check whether domains are available, on the fly.

I know that Dynadot have a free API, but that only works from 1 specified IP address, so no good for an online tool, (presumably?).

What about calling the results from a whois site, like:

http://whois.domaintools.com/domain.com ?

Presumably they would block your site after n connections, but is this doable using proxy servers, etc?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thank you.

catchmesleeping

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are a few ways of doing this. Two legit ways are using an API or using the 'whois' linux command line tool.

DynaDot recently made their API FREE! Before they had a requirement to add $500 to your account before you could access it. The only problem now that it's free is that ... it doesn't work anymore :( Hopefully they'll get that problem figured out

Also, you can easily install a program on a linux server called 'whois' or 'jwhois'. If you're on centos, you can install like this:

yum -y install jwhois

You could easily check a few thousand names a day with this tool - however they do have limits... the most annoying of which are .ORGs, where are limited to 4 lookups per minute.

But overall, jwhois is great, because they give you the creation date, expire date, nameservers, etc, so you can really get some more information about the domain names. And if you're smart, you can save that in a database like a cache, so you don't need to lookup the domain name for availability again, until after the expired date.

How many lookups are you trying to do? There are some other techniques that I would describe as 'gray hat', that I won't post here in a public forum :D

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can add up to 5 IP addresses for use with the Dynadot API.

Duskic

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My company is building something like that, and much more. You can signup for a free account, and you can always ask me for additional free queries (send me a PM here). Would appretiate feedback. Check it out at www.whoapi.com and www.freedomainapi.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators