Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Dot Info Landrush Fairplay??

Status
Not open for further replies.

skylark

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Below is the text of a e-mail I sent 6/3 to afilias:
AAAQ.Com just released its terms for the dot info landrush2. The below sentence concerns me.

AAAQ.COM reserves the right to submit up to 10% of the slots for our own use, with a seven-slot minimum."

Aren't there any ethics left in the domain registrar business??

Below is Afilias' Response:

Dear concerned registrant,

Afilias does not regulate the marketing concepts of the registrars. I'm sure that if you research the list of registrars, all of them have different marketing techniques that will suit some customers better than others. Please find the registrar that best fit your needs. Afilias' random process will remain the same regardless of the registrars submission techniques.

Comments anyone? "Marketing Concept "???? An interesting term for "your know what"!
Skylark

Domain summit 2024

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by skylark
Below is the text of a e-mail I sent 6/3 to afilias:
AAAQ.Com just released its terms for the dot info landrush2. The below sentence concerns me.

AAAQ.COM reserves the right to submit up to 10% of the slots for our own use, with a seven-slot minimum."

Aren't there any ethics left in the domain registrar business??

Below is Afilias' Response:

Dear concerned registrant,

Afilias does not regulate the marketing concepts of the registrars. I'm sure that if you research the list of registrars, all of them have different marketing techniques that will suit some customers better than others. Please find the registrar that best fit your needs. Afilias' random process will remain the same regardless of the registrars submission techniques.

Comments anyone? "Marketing Concept "???? An interesting term for "your know what"!
Skylark

First of all, who the Phuk is aaaq.com ?
Never heard of them before in my life,
and the fact that have still not open the doors for processing the new landrush info, seems to look like a amateur site (even though they may be icann accredited).

Second, I would not put anything by Afilias of any other registrar in term of any ethics in the domain registrar business.

conclusion : AFILIAS SUCKS but the ext. .info does not.
too bad they are incharge of it.

The process for LandRush II actually looks like it will be a fair one - as these things go.

The sad thing here is that many people will be ripped off by auctions to get high on the list at a given Registrar - only to be denied the domain because another registrar grabbed it first.

From the Afilias FAQ
3. The registry will first randomize the order of the names within each registrar’s hat. Then it will randomize the order of the registrars’ hats. The result is a circle of hats.
this means that you cannot buy the #1 slot at any registrar - since these will be randomized by the registry before the names are drawn.

-t

skylark

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Who is AAAQ.COM? According to their website:
"The owners of AAAQ.com previously founded (in 1995) and operated leading domain name registrar Namesecure.com, one of the first companies to specialize in domain name registration, which was acquired by VeriSign in 2000."

FYI: I just received a reply from AAAQ. com about my comment to them about my opinion of their procedure. Note that AAAQ.COM is limiting their queue to less than 150 applications.
AAAQ.COm reply:

"Thank you for your email.

While we expect to take a little flack for including a few names on our list for our own purposes, we took the approach that we should be up-front about it. Not that it would make any difference in anyone's mind about the ethics involved, there are, we believe, more than a few registrars that will be submitting lists that contain *only* names for their own use.

In regards to ethics, ICANN-accredited registrars are under no obligation whatsoever to offer their services to the public or anyone else. They have always been free to use the accreditation for whatever purpose they may choose, staying within the bounds of the contract and the law, of course.

We've determined that, although there's been a general misperception that registrars are excluded from participating in new domain roll-outs, and that we might take a little heat for this, we have just as much right to participate as anyone else. We also take our chances on getting any particular domain the same as anyone else. Unethical, in our minds, would be if we were the registry itself, and we just took the names we wanted and didn't give anyone a crack at the name at all.

In closing, by limiting our submitted list to something less than 200 names, AAAQ.COM offers one of the best chances from any registrar to get your desired name. We proved that a short list strategy works in both the Sunrise and Land Rush I Periods last year. I believe we'll prove it again this time around, too. I'm hopeful you'll reconsider your decision.

Thank you again for expressing your concerns.

Best regards,

Jeff

--
jeff field
952-848-7626
952-848-7627 fax
jfield@aaaq.com <mailto:jfield@aaaq.com>

Skylark comment: In other words, As long as "ICANN" say they can they WILL!!!

skylark

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The process for LandRush II actually looks like it will be a fair one - as these things go.

The sad thing here is that many people will be ripped off by auctions to get high on the list at a given Registrar - only to be denied the domain because another registrar grabbed it first.

From the Afilias FAQ

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. The registry will first randomize the order of the names within each registrar’s hat. Then it will randomize the order of the registrars’ hats. The result is a circle of hats.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this means that you cannot buy the #1 slot at any registrar - since these will be randomized by the registry before the names are drawn.

Actually, people are not bidding to get high on the list. They are bidding to get on the list where there domain name submittal is exclusive to that registrar. All registrar's are being upfront about the process. I myself have "tickets" in at least 18 different registrars with various strategies involved. It is always better to be in a SHORT list (find the unknown or lesser known registrars in other countries and you will likely hit "gold" during the landrush. I myself received my most valuable names from dot info landrush 1 by placing apps in other countries. None of my most prized names came from the US.
Skylark

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Never heard of them....
and still think their amateurs.
sorry :(

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The LL is a scam, favoring registrars with short or closed queues. There will definitely be a lot of insider trading this time round. Neulevel may have been strict in confiscating suspicious registrar applications by I doubt Afilias will. After all, it is owned by the very same corrupt registrars.

skylark

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just a thought for the evening amidst the cynicism (which I agree with). There is light at the end of the tunnel. One way to succeed in the Dot Info Landrush is to stay "under the radar". I.E. focus on the second tier names instead of the top tier which will consume the focus of the "questionable tactics". Determine valuable names that won't make the "gotta have" list and you can quietly manage to succeed in spite of the wild west atmosphere.
"Even the ant's hope can reach heaven".
Chinese proverb (I think).
Skylark

M

mike

AAAQ.COM's policy looks par for the course. They are all doing it.

Anion

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The Afilias authorization contract prohibits registrars from registering names during the landrush phase. This is blatantly wrong. Registrar should not get special treatment.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some Registrars don't give a toss - look at Yesnic. Apparently, Afilias can't speak Korean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators