Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Draggar's really basic VPS hosting questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I signed up for VPS and I'm having (several) issues - some of which I think time may be the cause.

I have sites up and running on the VPS host (I had to make an account in my account) but I've had a site I've been waiting for the DNS to change over since 5:30AM this morning (11 hours ago). The name server is set properly (due to the other sites) - I'm not sure what is taking this domain so long (not an account limit issue). Flushing the DNS on my PC doesn't help. ;(

Also, I'm trying to set up a second set of nameservers (let's call them ns1.server2.com, ns2.server2.com). I have the IP addresses set at the registrar and I have the two ip addresses (account has 12) set for this pair of name servers but I think I am missing something. It is not coming up in my list of nameserver IPs.

Plus, all the sites look like they're coming from the same IP address (and it's not one for any of the nameservers but it includes the two domains the nameservers are based on).

What step (or steps) am I missing in cPanel? Why are all the sites coming up from the same IP address? I did this so I would be able to have sites on different IP addresses.

On a plus note the sites that are running they're a lot faster than what I had before (shared) so that's always a plus.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1 - I think the registrar dns settings may take a while to propagate. Up to 24 hours for some. Sometimes your isp may be caching the nameserver info also, for sites you visit. Saves them some money I guess. Just gotta wait it out.

2 - You may have to ask for the sysop of your vps to help with adding nameservers. I had to do this, and I asked what should I be doing, and they replied for me to ask them. So I dunno, I just ask.

3 - Goto account functions in main cPanel and click on Change Site's IP Address. Then select your account, and click Change. Will be straightforward from there.

And yes, my vps is alot faster too. They should be load balancing the sites on the server to keep everyone happy.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I've never seen a DNS change take this long - it's been almost 14 hours now and still not pinging. I would like to change it back and the initiate another one but I'm afraid that'll reset the clock. :(

I guess I'll have to log another ticket- I hate bugging support right from the beginning.

As for the IPs - I got it, thank you. Now one "account" is on the correct IP address.

Last edited:

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dont worry bout buggin them, that it what they are there for. Plus they already know new customers will need a couple or so tickets in the very beginning. They expect a little hand-holding in the beginning.

My most recent ticket after my server got hacked is still open as I have a few more things to fix and get right. I had alot of questions.

My error was to not have strong enough ftp passwords. Make them strong as you can stand. (also make sure you setup your main cpanel settings for ftp with anon ftp set to off. Wasnt my issue, but it came up as I asked about it)

Also, make sure when setting up domain account email addy's, enable the SPF records and MX keys. Keeps you from looking like spam to others. There are obvious buttons for them in each domain account cpanel.

Also,....... It isnt a managed server, and it isnt a simple hosting account. Just a hybrid. So you will always have a question or two somewhere.

Use on of your lesser domains and set up an account just for playing around with the different settings in that domain account cpanel. When you are done, just delete the account.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can help with this also, the "main site" for an account is set to go to the /public_html/ folder - how can I make it go to the /public_html/(site.com)/ folder?

I've done it before - it wa sin the .htaccess I think, but I forgot the code. :(

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can help with this also, the "main site" for an account is set to go to the /public_html/ folder - how can I make it go to the /public_html/(site.com)/ folder?

I've done it before - it wa sin the .htaccess I think, but I forgot the code. :(

You can do that also in cpanel for a domain redirect 301 for the main name domain to redirect to another domain name.

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

cpanel will set the htaccess for that redirect for you.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can do a forward like that from the registrar - and I don't want to forward the domain. I can install the site in the public_html folder but that would be messy (IMO). I've seen it before with 2 hosts ago and too bad I don't have that email anymore. :(

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanx - I'll look into that. The hositng company also suggested the httpd.conf file.

As for the initial sites, it's been over 24 hours and still not pointing. :(

Edit: I just changed the DNS back to the old host for that site and it switched over in <5 minutes.

Last edited:

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Intersting. Are you gonna try again to see if it is just a hiccup?

edit - to add

Seems like I had this problem once awhile ago.

If I remember right, I ended up setting the domain back to the original settings at the registrar. Then deleting the domain account I created on the vps.

Then I reset the domain name at the registrar for the new nameservers on my vps.

AND THEN, this is where it worked, after a short wait, then created the new doain account on my vps.

I did this out of frustration, and for some reason it worked. I dont know why. But I have done it this way ever since with no problems.

Basically making the registrar nameservers settings first, and after a few hours only then making the vps domain account.

Maybe try this?

Last edited:

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The weird thing with this VPS is that the domains need to be pointed to the nameserver before it allows you to add them to the cpanel accounts (odd). I'm working with support right now to make sure all the nameservers are set up correctly on their end. As far as I know I only need to set the server IPs at the registrar?

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The weird thing with this VPS is that the domains need to be pointed to the nameserver before it allows you to add them to the cpanel accounts (odd). I'm working with support right now to make sure all the nameservers are set up correctly on their end. As far as I know I only need to set the server IPs at the registrar?

I dont think so, I think you just need two name server names. No IP's

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've seen this one before with a prior host. They won't allow you to add a domain unless the DNS is pointed to them.

I get this when I try to add a domain:

Error from park wrapper: Using nameservers with the following IPs: (NS1 and NS2 IP addresses currently being used) Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver.

Edit: I think the missing step was that I didn't point the additional nameserver to the main nameserver. I'll give it time to switch over and then test the DNS with a site that isn't too important.

Last edited:

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I do remember that now, cpanel tests the domain first before it allows to be added. Sorry bout that.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They claim that all the nameservers were set up properly yesterday. I can only test one (but it's based on a .us domain). I re-pointed a domain back to my old host, confirmed it was pointed to them (flushDNS - go to the site) and then re-pointed to the new nameserver - nothing yet.

Another site I pointed to the nameserver that was working on Friday but I can't ping the site at all. Change it back to the old host - within 10 minutes its back up. Go back to the new nameserver, nothing.

I'm wondering if it is really worth all this trouble. I want VPS for speed and more privacy (not sharing with other people) but this is quite a hassle. I guess you get what you pay for. :(

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Consider you are working at McDonald for $8 an hour.
Is it worth your time and effort?

Unless you consider to work for the Red Cross or United Way - then ignore my question.

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hang in there - once you get it all set up, you'll be rolling. Don't be afraid to pester the heck out of support. They are used to new user needs.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have the IP addresses set at the registrar and I have the two ip addresses (account has 12) set for this pair of name servers but I think I am missing something. It is not coming up in my list of nameserver IPs. Plus, all the sites look like they're coming from the same IP address (and it's not one for any of the nameservers but it includes the two domains the nameservers are based on)......

Are you sure they gave you 12 IP's? I would be surprised since most all hosting firms (even dedicated server) only allow a few IPs (usually 1 or 2, sometimes up to 5) due to a severe worldwide shortage of numbers.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have 8 myself. The extra's cost a buck each. Not a bad price for a shortage.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was talking about at no extra cost and also without justification such as a signed form where you certify you need them and explain why, and have an costly SSH certificate for each IP as required by places like Hostgator. Old plans which had a lot of IPs I believe are grandfathered in but not if you go with a new or upgraded server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators