Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Draggar's really basic VPS hosting questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was talking about at no extra cost and also without justification such as a signed form where you certify you need them and explain why, and have an costly SSH certificate for each IP as required by places like Hostgator. Old plans which had a lot of IPs I believe are grandfathered in but not if you go with a new or upgraded server.

Ok I know what you are saying now. I have had mine for years, and havent had to sign anything to get or keep them, probably cause I have had them so long. But I dont use hostgator, so I dont know their policies.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Consider you are working at McDonald for $8 an hour.
Is it worth your time and effort?

Unless you consider to work for the Red Cross or United Way - then ignore my question.

I'm seeing that now. How long should it take for new nameservers to be active and I'm able to point domains to it?

Hang in there - once you get it all set up, you'll be rolling. Don't be afraid to pester the heck out of support. They are used to new user needs.

I am. I think I'm about to log my 4th ticket - and that's with me combining tickets.

Are you sure they gave you 12 IP's? I would be surprised since most all hosting firms (even dedicated server) only allow a few IPs (usually 1 or 2, sometimes up to 5) due to a severe worldwide shortage of numbers.

It looks like it. When I ping a site that is working it shows up as the IP address that I have it assigned to.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I need to change the actual directories for themes in SMF - the old host was /usr/www/virtual/(name)/(site)/(location)

How can I find out the actual directory structure since I can't seem to get an actual root FTP connection?

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I need to change the actual directories for themes in SMF - the old host was /usr/www/virtual/(name)/(site)/(location)

How can I find out the actual directory structure since I can't seem to get an actual root FTP connection?

Can I ask a stupid question?

Why install smf in your root directory since you have it redirected as indicated in a post further back?

Do you mean in the root of a domain account?

And if you do, why cant you setup an ftp account in the domain account cpanel?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For some reason SMF needs to know where the actual templates are compares from the root. When you do a fresh install this isn't a problem but when you move form host a to host b you might have to change it.

In the control panel for SMF it has this for the theme's directory (from the old host):

/usr/www/virtual/draggar/(website)/(SMF folder)/Themes/default

I'm going to look though their plugins to see if there is one that does this.

\I found this which does the trick:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php#Download

Last edited:

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK. good deal.

I was going to suggest a fresh install, and then just import the theme over using smf, and backingup the database and reinstalling it using cpanel.

But you beat me too it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators