Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Easiest most flexible CMS to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I tried Joomla and got bored with it as it had many things it needed added to get it where I wanted it and moving content around was not as easy at it should be.

Is there anything out there that anyone has found that would be better?

-=DCG=-

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry I don't agree. I have been using Joomla for a while, and need to do my own programming here and there, however, overall, I don't think there is anything close.
You might try looking at Drupal, here is a comparison link, with lots of other links -
http://cmsreport.com/node/543

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have had several tell me Limbo but I have not been able to get it to load properly.

I have used Joomla and it is a steeper learning curve. And I know exactly the frustration when adding or moving content.

Others have told me WordPress and Drupal are the way to go. I have not personally tried them but do plan to.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doc,

The learning curve is what slows me down with Joomla, I don't want to learn too much, I just and want an easy way to create and monitor content sites instead of seperate sites for each one.

I will check drupal and limbo, ty.

My issue is I want something with wizards to make it simple, I don't want to be a high end designer or developer.

-=DCG=-

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
... and for the record, it doesn't have to be open source if someone knows a great commercial product.

Thanks,

-=DCG=-

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WordPress is a Blog, and it's very simple and easy to use, however, I would not confuse it with a CMS.

The learning curve is what slows me down with Joomla, I don't want to learn too much, I just and want an easy way to create and monitor content sites instead of seperate sites for each one.

I had the same frustration, but I've found out that sometimes simplicity is at the cost of other factors.

Drupal's plus seems to be the multi-site factor.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WordPress is a Blog, and it's very simple and easy to use, however, I would not confuse it with a CMS.
It was designed and intended to be a blog but I have seen some spectacular full featured, rich content, auto updating sites using WordPress. Plus, many fabulous free and available templates.

That may perhaps be next on my list to learn as so many have told me how flexible and easy it is.

Doc,

I am by no means a programmer or developer. The Joomla format did very much meet my needs.

As for commercial products, I used to use Microsoft FrontPage and MS Publisher. This was very limiting and restrictive to the machine it was loaded on.

CMS and Joomla offered so much flexiblility and the ability to log in from any computer in the world and update and make changes. It was absolutely exciting for me to see changes in real time rather than having to wait until I got home to the desktop.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It was designed and intended to be a blog but I have seen some spectacular full featured, rich content, auto updating sites using WordPress. Plus, many fabulous free and available templates.

That may perhaps be next on my list to learn as so many have told me how flexible and easy it is.

Here's an autoupdating WP site of mine - http://convertcd.com/
Yes quite simple.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
... and for the record, it doesn't have to be open source if someone knows a great commercial product.

Thanks,

-=DCG=-

If joomla or mambo is not on your level of expection. You may try tomoye, a commercial version. I know a some local goverment websites that use this cms, check it out.

My www.king.net is powered by joomla latest release. Of course, heavily customized to use for my other domains such as www.commerces.com, www.kismetwireless.com, www.GPSdrive.com etc.

Regards,
Em

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If joomla or mambo is not on your level of expection. You may try tomoye, a commercial version. I know a some local goverment websites that use this cms, check it out.

My www.king.net is powered by joomla latest release. Of course, heavily customized to use for my other domains such as www.commerces.com, www.kismetwireless.com, www.GPSdrive.com etc.
Obvious mastery of Joomla. Very impressive sites. Have been told that Mambo is outdated and almost obsolete thanks to Joomla.

Would like a link to tomoye. Did a search and numerous returns so I want to be sure to end up at the right place.

Sorry to jump in your thread -=DCG=-, but I am also interested in learning as much as I can and help shorten that learning curve.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No problem, jump in wherever you want, this is precisely why I created these sections.

Thanks to all that provided info, I have lots of reading to do.

-=DCG=-

KMEDIA

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Im also quite happy with wordpress, but I always prefer a custom cms.

groundctrl

Coolest User Ever
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

a CMS is, by definition, anything that manages content, which a blog does. and, as of wordpress 2.0, you can make wordpress not look like a blog and do everything that drupal can do... it'll take some customization though.

Jacksplat

No time to chit-chat
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've tried several cms and not happy with how much i have to educate myself when in fact I'm looking for "plug and play".

That said, ive tried wordpress on non-blog sites and its been quite a pleasure with its ease of use.

If your considering wordpress Adam, shoot me a pm and i'll show you a few of my wordpress sites.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been playing with drupal and can say it's much easier than joomla, wordpress will be my next attempt, but drupal is really easy.

-=DCG=-

Jacksplat

No time to chit-chat
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I might just check drupal out as well. I've never even heard of it untill now.

Jack

an hour after this post:
Checking out drupal I'm liking what I see enough to download and install to possibly use instead of the recent sites I launched with wordpress. It reminds me alot of wordpress with some extras.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been playing with drupal and can say it's much easier than joomla, wordpress will be my next attempt, but drupal is really easy.

-=DCG=-
That's encouraging. As mentioned, Joomla can be intimidating to jump in.

Do you have or do you think you need much programming experience with Drupal?

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Drupal is defintely good for quick sites. It does lack the power of Joomla if you want to take it further though - there are some great modules for Joomla - but it has to be the least intuitive product around..

Not trying to push my own sites, but I launched www.SciFiCentral.com a few days ago if you're interested in what Joomla can do :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom