Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

"Expiring Soon" trademark?? Need advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yahtool

I just received an email and need some advice.

It states, "I was granted a Federal Trademark in the United States Patent and Trademark Office for the term "Expiring Soon". Do a search at www.USPTO.Gov and do a Free Form trademark search for "Expiring Soon"."

I did check and there really is a trademark for that phrase.

Word Mark: EXPIRING SOON

Goods and Services: PROVIDING A WEBSITE FEATURING INFORMATION ABOUT AVAILABLE INTERNET DOMAIN REGISTRATIONS, LISTS, ROSTERS AND DATABASES OF DOMAIN REGISTRATION THAT ARE EXPIRING SOON.

This phrase is on the following page of my website: http://www.yahtool.com/search

Phrase: Expiring Soon Domains

Now, this page is actually from my partner program through LocalWhois.com, so it's not really part of my site.

I guess my question is, what law prevents me from having that phrase on a website, be it mine or anyone else?

Am I really infringing on a trademark?

Thanks...

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Change phrase from "Expiring Soon Domains" to "Expiring Domains". You get a better phrase and you wash your hands of this

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
First, this is an example of a lazy examiner being asleep at the wheel at the PTO, while, apparently, no one bothered to object to this obviously descriptive/generic phrase as applied to these services.

Second, the word mark is ONLY published on the supplemental register--meaning that the registrant can only hope to be able to establish what is called "secondary meaning" --namely, that consumers will come to associate the phrase with one, and only, one company.

Ha! I visited your site. You use the term descriptively, not at all "in a trademark manner."

Ignore the puffery of this blowhard. My guess is you will not be the last to receive one of these ridiculous cease and desist letters.

:cool:

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If your use preceeds his you're OK.

Would be a good idea to protest it. You can just by writing them a letter and objecting.

Your bigger problem is "yahtool.com." By my count, Yahoo has become the champion UDRP user. Almost every week their busy lawyers bring forward new arbs, most of which are won.

Miles

Like dots says, you use the term descriptively not as a "brand", so I wouldn't worry.

Has bill actually threatened you or asked for money from you?

Also, the mark is on the supplemental register which I've been informed means it carries virtually zero weight.

http://www.registercentre.com/glossary_sz.html

Supplemental Register

A registry of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for names that are not distinctive. The protections afforded marks in the Principal Registry are not offered to those in the Supplemental Registry.

domainduck

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Supplemantal ??

Sheese, and I thought I knew everything!?

quack, quack, quack :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators