Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Forget AlQueda, this one proves the world is ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sesame Street announced today that they will introduce an HIV Positive Muppet on the South African version of the show.

...WTF?

What's next? A crack-addled Big Bird singing a Bone Thugs N Harmony rap while barking on his Lucky Goldstar? "Sell! Buy! Sell!"

Perhaps Cookie Monster will be reborn/exposed/rebranded as a sugar addict and be express posted to the Betty Ford Clinic for a layover with Matthew Perry and Robert Downey Jr.

I've always thought that the voice for Cookie Monster was Larry King's whilst inflagrante with one of his 15 ex-wives.

Domain summit 2024
M

MattyP

It indeed seems a bit messed up, safe and dnp.

I assume the shows producers and the local authorities have thought the move, to introduce an HIV Positive Muppet to the show, through.

Could it be that despite all other efforts HIV continues to grow and kill and this is a 'clutch at straws' attempt to educate the population of South Africa.

While we think it is outrageous is it really? Do we know how bad the situation is in South Africa?

Then of course, if it is just a mindless move, I agree with all your above comments.

Matt

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's easy to see the intent behind it, and given the media virus quality of it, the very fact of the story means that more people will know more about the HIV/Aids epidemic in Africa...and that's certainly good.

But it's really a strange thing to introduce into the consciousness of young children. Of course the goal is to humanize HIV sufferers and get kids when they're young, but there's a tickle of politics entering into a show that has always been a respite from the real world--and happily so.

Symbolically, it's a good thing, but practically, I'm not sure. It's all about how they do it, the context, etc.

Either way, it sure sounds whacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom