Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Google and Directories

Status
Not open for further replies.

coreymanshack

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If a directory links to your site, does google eventually devalue those links? One of my sites is listed in DMOZ and there are several other sites that copy dmoz and I'll see them in yahoo site explorer.

SEO_Expert

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, It depends on the directory it is link to your website from, but how it is linked, and which web page it is linked to on your website.

Poor search engine optimiztion practices can de-optimize, or decrease the value of important keywords.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I completely disagree. Google does not penalize for low quality links. They penalize for un-natural links.

In the link you provided it says:
Here are a few common examples of unnatural links that violate our guidelines:
Low-quality directory or bookmark site links

So I'm assuming Digg and DMOZ clone sites could impact your rating, depending on if they have some kind of authority or not. Google will never give an in depth answer to their algorithm, but did provide that much...

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In the link you provided it says:

So I'm assuming Digg and DMOZ clone sites could impact your rating, depending on if they have some kind of authority or not. Google will never give an in depth answer to their algorithm, but did provide that much...

You'll get the "authority" from the original listing and Google will ignore the duplicates. If low quality links impacted rankings directly it would be common practice to bomb competitors with automated low quality links. Focus on what you can control and ignore the rest. :)

SEO_Expert

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I started a new website this week and Google Bot has been there for 4 days straight WITHOUT LEAVING!

Bing and Yahoo Bots have stopped by, but GoogleBot is Camping there for sure!

When Google Finds something it likes, you will know real quick.

It's all about knowing how to give Google what it wants.. Or trying to give them what you think they want logically...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators