Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed HELP!! [fish].net is sought for harvest!!

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Help me evaluate this one, please.

I own a four character [fish].net domain.

It's not pike.net, bass.net, or coho.net, but it's a [fish].net domain, alright, and one you have probably heard of, especially if you eat sushi upon occasion.

I've been offered a mid-4 figure ($X,000) amount for the domain by a would-be restauranteur who wants my [fish].net domain as his restaurant's web address.

Since restaurants come and go, while the universe of [fish].net domains is rather limited--(the [fish] and net combination is actually a positive for this normally rather bland .net TLD, as nobody ever caught a fish with a "com" or an "org"!!), I am NOT inclined to sell the domain, but instead, license its use in return for an annual fee AND eats at the table, etc. This way, if the dining establishment goes bust, I still have my [fish].net, even if a few less helpings of sushi.

What do you all think? Should I take the money and run? If so, how much? If you like the licensing idea, let me know your thoughts on maximizing my return there, too.

Thanks, o wise and more experienced ones.

Domain summit 2024

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dotsofdomains
Help me evaluate this one, please.

I own a four character [fish].net domain.

It's not pike.net, bass.net, or coho.net, but it's a [fish].net domain, alright, and one you have probably heard of, especially if you eat sushi upon occasion.

I've been offered a mid-4 figure ($X,000) amount for the domain by a would-be restauranteur who wants my [fish].net domain as his restaurant's web address.

Since restaurants come and go, while the universe of [fish].net domains is rather limited--(the [fish] and net combination is actually a positive for this normally rather bland .net TLD, as nobody ever caught a fish with a "com" or an "org"!!), I am NOT inclined to sell the domain, but instead, license its use in return for an annual fee AND eats at the table, etc. This way, if the dining establishment goes bust, I still have my [fish].net, even if a few less helpings of sushi.

What do you all think? Should I take the money and run? If so, how much? If you like the licensing idea, let me know your thoughts on maximizing my return there, too.

Thanks, o wise and more experienced ones.

UNLESS YOU SPECIFY WHAT FISH YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT EXACTLY I CANNOT HELP ANSER YOUR QUESTION...

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My suggestion in this market is take the offer in cash. And I go further take 10% of the proceeds and invest in domains 2 - 5 year regs the rest in the bank. And no I do don't need to know the name of the fish.

Here is how I see it. If the domain market goes up the regs if well chosen will outperform the fish, on the other hand if the market goes down the fish will be worth less than 90% of your offer.

As for the license idea you will spend more on legal fees to protect yourself from the TM issues involved than you can make in rent.

izoot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have...

eatmeraw.net Great for a sushi site!

Maybe if they don't take yours they would want this????? :)

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would take the money and run. A specific brand of fish calls for a very small corner in terms of buyers. If you owned FISH.NET it would be a total different ball game. That is just my opinion and I also don't have all the facts in terms of buyer and domain.

Good luck!!

Ask deano (member of dnforum) for advise. He knows [fish] industry well. :D

To sell or to lease. That depends on how you see the future value of domain names (especially .net) in this case. Nobody has a perfect crystal ball.

Good Luck!

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, that's a pretty nice name!

Ask yourself a few questions:

A) Could the company buy the .com instead?
No, probably not, since it's in use by a seafood company

B) Do you need the money?
Everyone's circumstances are different. For some people, a few thousand dollars is a big deal - for others, not. You should think carefully about having the money vs having the domain, as appropriate to your current situation.

C) Do you get plenty of offers on the domain?
If you get a regular stream of offers, you don't have to jump at this one.

Since they can't get the .com easily, if you don't particularly need the money AND you get a steady stream of offers, you're probably better off leasing the name. Maybe offer to lease it for 1/3 of the amount he offered you each year.

Good luck, whatever you choose!

Has the customer indicated they would entertain the leasing of the name rather than outright purchase?

You know the domain better than any of us in terms of interest it gets, so if you think that you could easily sell it for the offer price or close to if this buyer walks away then thats fine - if not, it could be the one opportunity you get at this price and you may end up kicking yourself further down the line - especially if/when the new tld's start getting recognition.

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I hate to say this - but Fish.Net is even more valuable than Fish.com - any fish for that matter, even my favotire ie Cod ;)

Go for it dotsofdomainsand good luck with it!

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your feedback.

IPatlas

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Your FISH.NET should keep bringing food on the table for a long time. I agree about leasing, not selling. If the prospect bails tell him there is plenty of fish in the sea. Just keep catching them in your .NET

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This [fish] is both edible (if, and only if, prepared perfectly) and even DEADLY, by the way. Quite a sexy domain, as far as [fish].net domains go. And they don't go often. Those brave enough to dine upon this [fish] pay a bundle to eat it.

At last count, the advice on the board was running a bit in favor of sale over licensing. I will keep you posted on any FATAL developments in the negotiations.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Aha, then we're talking about "[mod edit: snip].net"

That's a much smaller market than tuna.net, which is what I misunderstood was your domain. I think the various suggestions on this thread still stand, but you might find it harder to get other offers.

Note: post was edited (rather than the entire thread deleted) at the request of dod so as to not have the domain name referenced directly in the forum.

G

gbrott

now that it's not tuna.net I might advise you to sell it...tuna.net would have much more marketability...

windyreddy

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dotsofdomains, What a interesting case !!

I know the kind of fish you describe. I can guess the domain too.

The market for this domain, would be kind of smaller in comparisn to others, considering that it's a very regulated & "rare" food item.

But the domain has terrific vanity value & those few restaurant's that do serve it may be interested.

Genki could help you in locating them. Nice find. Very unique.

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks, and I appreciate your not mentioning the specific domain name here, even though you can easily figure it out!!

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would definitely sell it now for whatever you can get. These seems like a once in a long time opportunity (perhaps the only).

Whatever you do, I would SELL and not LEASE. People like the satisfaction of "owning" a domain name, and if you insist on leasing, your buyer may turn against you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators